Old May 23rd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Default run car on moonshine

Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car will
run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the shop
warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn burner
boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200 proof
VBG

--
() An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Karl Townsend

Old May 23rd 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Karl Townsend wrote:
Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car will
run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the shop
warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn burner
boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200 proof
VBG

I believe you'll need a federal license and
custody controls as well.
Old May 23rd 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Mon, 22 May 2006 23:54:35 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

Forget corn likker - run it on cider from windfalls.(distilled, of
course)

Old May 23rd 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message k.net...
Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car
will run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the
shop warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn
burner boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200
proof VBG

--
() An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.
Five a day makes you a fruit grower like me.

Karl Townsend

Karl,
The Mother Earth News magazine built an alcohol still back in one of
their articles about 20 something years ago. I believe I've still got it in
the basement amongst all the old issues. Do a google search on it and it
should turn up. I remember the guy that designed it was named Dennis
Burkholder and he claimed that burning the corncobs provided all the heat he
needed for distillation. Also found that putting glass marbles in the
cooling column enhanced production by giving the vapors something to
condense on, if I remember that correctly. Good interesting article and he
ran some engines off if it, I believe. Hope this helps.

Garrett Fulton

Old May 23rd 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Jim Stewart wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car will
run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the shop
warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn burner
boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200 proof
VBG

I believe you'll need a federal license and
custody controls as well.

Yep. There are people doing it so it's not an insurmountable obstacle
though. Since you wouldn't get the various subsidies and tax breaks the
big ethanol producers get I'm pretty sure you'd have to be growing the
feed stock yourself on your own Ag tax exempted land in order to get a
price point cheaper than the local gas station.

You'd have an easier time going the biodiesel route I think.

Pete C.

Old May 23rd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18798

I made a moonshine apparatus at the age of 15. It worked. Made
moonshine that could burn. It is a trivial project. Especially in a
country where condenser coils are easily available.

Old May 23rd 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

remove .NOT wrote:

Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car will
run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the shop
warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn burner
boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200 proof
VBG

Will soon be $3 a gallon? The cheapest Ive paid in the last 3 months
is $3.27 a gallon.

Im putting $30-40 in my gas tank EVERY DAY.

And it sucks. Badly

And we can thank the Left for not allowing more refineries to be
built, or more wells to be drilled.

Thanks assholes!!!

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Old May 23rd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

If I have read correctly you don't need 200 proof, I think even the big
plants don't reach that.

There is a ton of info on the web and growing on this, sure would be nice to
save some cash and do just a little to help not fund the killers over seas.

Old May 23rd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 23 May 2006 01:39:31 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

Yep. There are people doing it so it's not an insurmountable obstacle
though. Since you wouldn't get the various subsidies and tax breaks the
big ethanol producers get I'm pretty sure you'd have to be growing the
feed stock yourself on your own Ag tax exempted land in order to get a
price point cheaper than the local gas station.

Well isn't that the reason for E85 rather than straight Ethanol? You're
denaturing it.

Hm. What's spot price on denatured alcohol these days?

You'd have an easier time going the biodiesel route I think.

Depends on the engine

Old May 23rd 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

remove .NOT wrote:

Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car will
run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the shop
warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn burner
boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200 proof
VBG

===================
see
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/still/index.html

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/producer/index.html

good people to deal with
Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.