Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best kind of steel for lathe leadscrew?

Hi guys,

I am going to have to machine a new leadscrew for a Myford Super 7
I've recently acquired. This existing one is visibly worn and if it's
bad enough to be visible to the unaided eye, I figure it needs
replacing. I plan to do this job on my good ol' South Bend 9a.
Question is, can I get away with ordinary mild steel for this screw?
If not, I've been offered a bar of something called EN8 at not too bad
price. What do you think?

Also, will the half nuts need to be replaced as well?

Thanks.

p.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

phaedrus wrote:
Hi guys,

I am going to have to machine a new leadscrew for a Myford Super 7
I've recently acquired. This existing one is visibly worn and if it's
bad enough to be visible to the unaided eye, I figure it needs
replacing. I plan to do this job on my good ol' South Bend 9a.
Question is, can I get away with ordinary mild steel for this screw?
If not, I've been offered a bar of something called EN8 at not too bad
price. What do you think?

Also, will the half nuts need to be replaced as well?

Thanks.

p.

Acme thread ? You might be better off buying a piece that's already
threaded . And if the leadscrew is that worn chances are the half nuts are
too ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:29:02 PM UTC-7, phaedrus wrote:
Hi guys,

I am going to have to machine a new leadscrew for a Myford Super 7
I've recently acquired. This existing one is visibly worn and if it's
bad enough to be visible to the unaided eye, I figure it needs
replacing. I plan to do this job on my good ol' South Bend 9a.

Question is, can I get away with ordinary mild steel for this screw?
If not, I've been offered a bar of something called EN8 at not too bad
price. What do you think?

Also, will the half nuts need to be replaced as well?

Thanks.

p.

This site has some info and photos...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-screw-150571/

xman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, guys.

What about the correct steel to use for the new 'screw? Any
suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:28:06 -0700 (PDT), phaedrus
wrote:

Thanks, guys.

What about the correct steel to use for the new 'screw? Any
suggestions?

It would last a long time with anything you have on hand. or buy
Mcmater carr W1 grade
http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-w1-tool-steel/=ikv7sb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"phaedrus" wrote in message
Thanks, guys.

What about the correct steel to use for the new 'screw? Any
suggestions?

http://www.fleischertube.com/materials-types.html

O-1 drill rod machines well. 12L14 may give you the smoothest
non-abrading finish.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 26, 5:28*pm, phaedrus wrote:
Thanks, guys.

What about the correct steel to use for the new 'screw? Any
suggestions?

Are you planning on using the old worn lead screw to machine the new
screw? Or do you have another lathe to use. I would buy some acme
threaded rod from MSC or McMaster even if I had a second lathe. The
purchased screw can be bought to various specs for accuracy and would
be more accurate than any lead screw made on a well used lathe.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:29:02 -0700 (PDT), phaedrus
wrote:

Hi guys,

I am going to have to machine a new leadscrew for a Myford Super 7
I've recently acquired. This existing one is visibly worn and if it's
bad enough to be visible to the unaided eye, I figure it needs
replacing. I plan to do this job on my good ol' South Bend 9a.
Question is, can I get away with ordinary mild steel for this screw?
If not, I've been offered a bar of something called EN8 at not too bad
price. What do you think?

Also, will the half nuts need to be replaced as well?

Thanks.

p.

If you can't find or don't want to use stock acme threaded rod then I
would suggest using "Stressproof" which is 1144. This steel alloy
machines well, much better than mild steel. 12L14, aka Ledloy,
machines even easier than 1144 but is not as resistant to wear.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:10:05 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:
snip
The
purchased screw can be bought to various specs for accuracy and would
be more accurate than any lead screw made on a well used lathe.

snip

Some people what been there and done that...
http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordrebuil..._Leadscrew.htm
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo..._Series_7.html
http://mikes-models.com/blog/index.p...on-myford-ml7/
http://mikes-models.com/blog/index.p...nt-be-avoided/

A few sources
http://www.drillspot.com/fasteners/r...FSZeTAodxQUAGg
http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/...=12 527491144
http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/7741-3-8...rods-nuts.html
http://www.dependableacme.com/

Good luck and let the group know how things turn out.
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You might try this company:
http://www.greenbaymfgco.com/catalog.php?cat=2

Pete Stanaitis