Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Best kind of steel for lathe leadscrew?

phaedrus wrote:
Hi guys,

I am going to have to machine a new leadscrew for a Myford Super 7
I've recently acquired. This existing one is visibly worn and if it's
bad enough to be visible to the unaided eye, I figure it needs
replacing. I plan to do this job on my good ol' South Bend 9a.
Question is, can I get away with ordinary mild steel for this screw?
If not, I've been offered a bar of something called EN8 at not too bad
price. What do you think?

Also, will the half nuts need to be replaced as well?

Thanks.

p.

Acme thread ? You might be better off buying a piece that's already
threaded . And if the leadscrew is that worn chances are the half nuts are
too ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps