Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speedi-Sleeve anyone shrink fit an undersize one?

I am dealing with a shaft dia of 1.326 in. The CRC/SKF Speedi-Sleeve does not have an application for this diameter. P/N 99134 is intended for a minimum shaft dia of 1.333 in. P/N 99131 is intended for a maximum shaft dia of 1.316 in. So I am thinking of a heat/shrink fit. Will I be able to get enough expansion? Being such a thin wall part, I would expect it to cool immediately on contact with the shaft. I am thinking of heating either with a heat gun or a "propane" torch (possibly using MAPP gas). I have looked around a bit and it appears that the competitors have set their catalogs to parallel the Speedi-Sleeve catalog (frequently using the same P/Ns.

THe alternative to a shrink fit is to press the sleeve in place. Your thoughts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"aribert n" wrote in message
I am dealing with a shaft dia of 1.326 in. The CRC/SKF Speedi-Sleeve does
not have an application for this diameter. P/N 99134 is intended for a
minimum shaft dia of 1.333 in. P/N 99131 is intended for a maximum shaft
dia of 1.316 in. So I am thinking of a heat/shrink fit. Will I be able to
get enough expansion? Being such a thin wall part, I would expect it to

cool immediately on contact with the shaft. I am thinking of heating
either with a heat gun or a "propane" torch (possibly using MAPP gas). I
have looked around a bit and it appears that the competitors have set their
catalogs to parallel the Speedi-Sleeve catalog (frequently using the same

P/Ns.

THe alternative to a shrink fit is to press the sleeve in place. Your
thoughts?

The thermal expansion coefficient of 304 stainless is 9.9 microinches/in per
deg. F. To enlarge a 1.316" opening by .010" you would have to heat it up by
at least 1010 degrees F. So I would say heating is probably not practical.

I have not used these sleeves but a 0.010" interference on a 1.3" shaft is
way beyond a reasonable press fit. You would have to stretch the material by
almost 1%, but the yield point is 0.2% as given by this data table
http://asm.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=MQ304A

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23/07/2012 07:17, anorton wrote:

"aribert n" wrote in message
[...]

Nickel plate, maybe electroless?

Metal spraying?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton - thanks for the reality check. I think I'll turn a thin spacer to limit the seal installation depth by about 0.060 to 0.080 and ride on a virgin area of the shaft.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message m...

"aribert n" wrote in message
[...]

Sleeves tend to split if you try and do that.