Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Undersize Rod for Die Stock Threading

After my experience threading 1/4 inch aluminum rod to M6x1.0, I am
sure 5/16 rod is just enough undersize for an M8x1.0, M8x1.25, or even
M8x1.50 die stock to thread in a really sweet way. I'm trying it
tomorrow.

Cheers,

Douglas (Dana) Goncz
Experimental Machinist
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Dougster" wrote in message
After my experience threading 1/4 inch aluminum rod to M6x1.0, I am
sure 5/16 rod is just enough undersize for an M8x1.0, M8x1.25, or even
M8x1.50 die stock to thread in a really sweet way. I'm trying it
tomorrow.

Cheers,

Correct, although I question the use of 1/4" material for 6MM threads. It's
woefully oversized.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold sez:

"Correct, although I question the use of 1/4" material for 6MM threads. It's
woefully oversized."

Harold,

Why'nt you just tell him the quick and dirty way to size taps drills for metric is: Drill diameter
= Metric size - pitch in mm.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oooppps ! To size rods for external metric threading: Nominal Diameter - (pitch X .866)

Bob Swinney
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oooopps! Wrong again - just wanted to see if you were awake.

The rod size for metric threading is: Nominal diameter - (.125 X Cos 30 degrees) X pitch in mm.

Bob (shamefully bowing head) Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 18, 3:51*am, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:
"The Dougster" (Okay, it was me) wrote in message

After my experience threading 1/4 inch aluminum rod to M6x1.0, I am
sure 5/16 rod is just enough undersize for an M8x1.0, M8x1.25, or even
M8x1.50 die stock to thread in a really sweet way. I'm trying it
tomorrow.

Correct, although I question the use of 1/4" material for 6MM threads. It's
woefully oversized.

Of course you question it. I didn't make it clear. I didn't mention I
filed the 1/4 inch rod to 0.234 inches minus a few mils. It threaded
OK then, but I was looked for a rod that could be threaded with nearly
no preparation.

The point I was trying to make was that M6 is *smaller* than 1/4 inch
so turing or filing is mandatory. M8 is *bigger* than 5/16, so I tried
it and the threads were beautiful. Most of them were sharp-V on the
eyball inspector gage.

Let's see, the next size up is 3/8 inch, and M10 is 0.390. It's bigger
than the inch size. Might work.

So, 1/4 inch rod is too big to thread M6. 5/16 in aluminum rod threds
to M8 OK. and 3/8 inch rod might thread M10.

That summary is what I wanted to establish. Now to stock up on 5/16
inch aluminum rod through Amazon while my Prime subscription is still
active. Small parts, $2.56 per 6 foot length, no shipping because of
the Prime trial. Whee!

1/4 and 3/8 I buy at Hoooooome Depot, nearby, the hottest pick-up spot
in No. Va. Every Friday and Saturday evening you'll see couple in the
hardware aisle having conversations like, "I just met you but I need a
good screw." *I'm not kidding, they are everywhere!*

Doug
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 22, 7:52*am, The Dougster
That summary is what I wanted to establish. Now to stock up on 5/16
inch aluminum rod through Amazon while my Prime subscription is still
active. Small parts, $2.56 per 6 foot length, no shipping because of
the Prime trial. Whee!

Doug

See what your local welding supplier stocks or will order for TIG rod.
The largest I've found is 1/4" but they had a good variety of smaller
sizes like 3/16" and 5/32" which can be threaded #10 and #8, or 5mm
and 4mm.

jsw