Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bad Gas

I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:37:56 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Here, we have "household hazardous waste facility" to handle stuff
like this for residents of the city. They figure it is better this way
than have people use their own methods.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:37:56 -0700 typed
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

A) wait till winter/wetter weather. Burn all you want, then. (I
used to dispose of used oil starting bonfires on the beach.)

B) see if your locality has a "hazmat disposal day" for such
things.

C) put it in an open bucket and let it evaporate.

D) "oil" your driveway, Or boat shed. Use it to kill weeds.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 17, 10:37*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. *It is old.
OLD! *I need to dispose of it. *Any suggestions? *I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. *All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. *Where can I dispose of it? *Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? *In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Craigslist has a "Free" section. Someone will come get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/17/2012 8:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Just pour it into an oil change pan and set it out in the sun.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
On 7/17/2012 8:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is
old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly
in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let
it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because
of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Just pour it into an oil change pan and set it out in the sun.

Paul

Dang fine idea, Paul.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-18, Steve B wrote:
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Near me, they have a fire station that accepts household wastes like
this on Sundays. It is free.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message ...
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

You are a ****ing idiot..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT"
"Steve B" I got about three gallons of mixed gas
and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions?
I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has
a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take
forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe
build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods,
burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

You are a ****ing idiot..

And you, hacksaw machinist, are a ****ing jackass!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:21:34 -0700, "Steve B"

m...
On 2012-07-18, Erik wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Good suggestion.

Having said that, personally I wouldn't hesitate to add a gallon at a
time into the ford product (only add to nearly full tankfuls [1]) . But
thats just me; YMMV.

I burn all old gas in my pick-up truck. I add it to new fuel, I try
not to make it more than 30% of the mix.

This is mixed outboard fuel. Oil and gas mixed.

Well then, is there any rush? I'd get a separate gas can or drum to
keep it isolated in, and do the mix-in method on one of the gasoline
engine devices in Very Small Quantities because of the added oil, say
under 5% at a time.

And run it through a ultra-fine fuel filter water separator cartridge
filter first. The kind you use on boats. Not cheap, but you can keep
using it for several years, put it on the Transfer Pump outlet.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:23:56 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 7/17/2012 8:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Just pour it into an oil change pan and set it out in the sun.

Paul

You can also bend and weld up a 4X4 burn pan out of 1/8" Plate and
invite the neighbors over to practice Fire Extinguisher techniques.

There is nothing that builds confidence more than actually doing it -
then they'll know what to expect when the real thing happens, rather
than just run away and watch the house burn down.

Be sure to have them bring whatever they have around the house to the
practice round. Someone will bring a few crappy Plastic Head Kidde's,
I'm sure you'll try to blow them off and find at least one dud that
doesn't work in the pile. Let that be a lesson that you can't buy
crap if it has to work in an emergency.

Get a pile of business cards from a local Extinguisher Shop, and work
out a nice price for Amerex 417's (or other quality units) for cars,
and 500's or bigger for house and garage.

$35 2.5# extinguisher, $20,000 car - a few $40 5# extinguishers, a $1M
house - both seem like a no-brainer to me...

And when everyone's had their turn and there's still gasoline left...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Donate it to a friend, who's got an older gasoline vehicle.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"BruceSPAMBLOCK L.NOSPAM. BergmanINVALID (munged human readable)"
wrote in message

This is mixed outboard fuel. Oil and gas mixed.

Well then, is there any rush? I'd get a separate gas can or drum to
keep it isolated in, and do the mix-in method on one of the gasoline
engine devices in Very Small Quantities because of the added oil, say
under 5% at a time.

And run it through a ultra-fine fuel filter water separator cartridge
filter first. The kind you use on boats. Not cheap, but you can keep
using it for several years, put it on the Transfer Pump outlet.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bad Gas (bRRRP)

The local (to you) FD may take the gas mix, for just this reason.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"BruSPAMce L. BergmanDELETE (munged human readable)"
wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message ...

"PrecisionmachinisT"
"Steve B" I got about three gallons of mixed gas
and oil in my boat tank. It is old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions?
I can't burn it slowly in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has
a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take
forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe
build a burner, and just let it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods,
burning is banned because of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

You are a ****ing idiot..

And you, hacksaw machinist, are a ****ing jackass!

Eat **** and die, TROLL...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-18, Erik wrote:

wrote:

[...]

How much oil? At the usual 50::1 it will amount to less then a cup of
oil. It will burn and 3 gallons in a full tank of "new gas" won't even
be noticeable. I used to get rid of old outboard gas that way and
couldn't tell the difference between a few gallons of outboard gas in
a full tank and a tank full without the outboard gas.

Cheers,
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

om...
On 2012-07-18, Erik wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It looked fine to me, but smelled "varnishy". So, I just put it in a
shallow pan out in the lower forty, and left it there.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

[...]

We have had a bad spate of wildfires here in Utah, one very near my house.
I doubt that any open burning would be welcomed. I was being very careful
yesterday when I did a smoked turkey and pork shoulder roast, expecting the
local Brown Shirts to report me. But all went well. I doubt that we will
be allowed to open burn before September, maybe October.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 20:43:14 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .

news:IpudneOyRriujZrNnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2012-07-18, Erik wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That will get rid of it.

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash
parts :-)
Cheers,
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gee, you like global warming, don't you? All those chemicals in the
stratosphere?

Gasoline as parts washer? Bad idea, you might have gotten some grease and
oil into the gasoline.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"John B." wrote in message

It looked fine to me, but smelled "varnishy". So, I just put it in a
shallow pan out in the lower forty, and left it there.

That will get rid of it.

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash
parts :-)
Cheers,
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:27:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Gee, you like global warming, don't you? All those chemicals in the
stratosphere?

Are you really sure that evaporating 3 gallons of gasoline is going to
melt the Greenland Ice Cap?

Gasoline as parts washer? Bad idea, you might have gotten some grease and
oil into the gasoline.

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"John B." wrote in message
.. .

It looked fine to me, but smelled "varnishy". So, I just put it in a
shallow pan out in the lower forty, and left it there.

That will get rid of it.

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash
parts :-)
Cheers,
John B.

Cheers,
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/20/2012 10:20 PM, John B. wrote:

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The stuff sold today as "gasoline" is NOT the same stuff used for
generations.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John B." wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 20:43:14 -0700, "Steve B"
snip

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash
parts :-)
Cheers,
John B.

You're joking, right?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gee, you like global warming, don't you? All those chemicals in the
stratosphere?

Are you really sure that evaporating 3 gallons of gasoline is going to
melt the Greenland Ice Cap?

CY: Happened last night. Didn't you see the news?

Gasoline as parts washer? Bad idea, you might have gotten some grease and
oil into the gasoline.

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

CY: He's supposed to write back "silly, it's just going to get MORE oil in
it...."

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash
parts :-)
Cheers,
John B.

Cheers,
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 22:30:09 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 7/20/2012 10:20 PM, John B. wrote:

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The stuff sold today as "gasoline" is NOT the same stuff used for
generations.

The last time I tried it still washed parts pretty well :-) But the
damned stuff is getting too expensive to wash parts with.

Cheers,
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash
parts :-)
Cheers,
John B.

And those would be the parts from the two cycle four cylinder motor that I
would have burned up with straight gas, right?

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:30:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash
parts :-)
Cheers,
John B.

And those would be the parts from the two cycle four cylinder motor that I
would have burned up with straight gas, right?

Steve ;-)

Any parts you want to wash - back in my Air Force days we used to wash
oil stained coveralls in 115/145 and hang them to dry on the propeller
blades.

Got them really clean too, but we stopped after one of the crew got
some sort of virulent crotch rot and the Medics told us that some
people are allergic to avgas :-(
Cheers,
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

THe local tractor and mower shop states that we should use
Premium gas in the mowers (riding and 54" ...) other tractors
due to the junk and trash and OH corn stuff and whatnot in
the lower two grades.

The Alcohol absorbs moisture and will pit out fuel systems in
various trimmer / saw / small engines.

Martin

On 7/20/2012 10:30 PM, Richard wrote:
On 7/20/2012 10:20 PM, John B. wrote:

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The stuff sold today as "gasoline" is NOT the same stuff used for
generations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

THe local tractor and mower shop states that we should use
Premium gas in the mowers (riding and 54" ...) other tractors
due to the junk and trash and OH corn stuff and whatnot in
the lower two grades.

The Alcohol absorbs moisture and will pit out fuel systems in
various trimmer / saw / small engines.

Martin

On 7/20/2012 10:30 PM, Richard wrote:
On 7/20/2012 10:20 PM, John B. wrote:

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The stuff sold today as "gasoline" is NOT the same stuff used for
generations.

It greatly accelerates rubber deterioration as well.

Avoid "E" anything fuels at all costs... but sadly, you probably don't
have a choice anymore.

Erik