Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Bad Gas

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote in message
news
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:23:56 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 7/17/2012 8:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is
old.
OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly
in
a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high
octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three
gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let
it
burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because
of
recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Just pour it into an oil change pan and set it out in the sun.

Paul

You can also bend and weld up a 4X4 burn pan out of 1/8" Plate and
invite the neighbors over to practice Fire Extinguisher techniques.

There is nothing that builds confidence more than actually doing it -
then they'll know what to expect when the real thing happens, rather
than just run away and watch the house burn down.

Be sure to have them bring whatever they have around the house to the
practice round. Someone will bring a few crappy Plastic Head Kidde's,
I'm sure you'll try to blow them off and find at least one dud that
doesn't work in the pile. Let that be a lesson that you can't buy
crap if it has to work in an emergency.

Get a pile of business cards from a local Extinguisher Shop, and work
out a nice price for Amerex 417's (or other quality units) for cars,
and 500's or bigger for house and garage.

$35 2.5# extinguisher, $20,000 car - a few $40 5# extinguishers, a $1M
house - both seem like a no-brainer to me...

And when everyone's had their turn and there's still gasoline left...

We have had a bad spate of wildfires here in Utah, one very near my house.
I doubt that any open burning would be welcomed. I was being very careful
yesterday when I did a smoked turkey and pork shoulder roast, expecting the
local Brown Shirts to report me. But all went well. I doubt that we will
be allowed to open burn before September, maybe October.

Steve