Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cameron Micro Drill Chuck

I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures wrote:
I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

I just got one of them too- it's a nifty little machine.

Call the people at cameron. They're friendly, have the chucks and can explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the
bearings.

cameronmicrodrillpress.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures wrote:

I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:03:20 PM UTC-6, Michael Terrell wrote:
Berties Miniatures wrote:

> I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.
>
> Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?
>
> Thanks.

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html

Thanks. I don't want to modify the drill press only change the chucks if it is possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I'm looking to find a used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I will ask Cameron but not sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what they want for a new chuck.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:54:34 PM UTC-6, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Berties Miniatures > wrote:
> I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.
>
> Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?
>
> Thanks.

I just got one of them too- it's a nifty little machine.

Call the people at cameron. They're friendly, have the chucks and can explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the
bearings.

cameronmicrodrillpress.com

nifty it is! I mainly want to use it as a pin router with micro end mills and cutters for making duplicated items in wood and light metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures wrote:

> I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html

Thanks. I don't want to modify the drill press only change the chucks if it is possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I'm looking to find a used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I will ask Cameron but not sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what they want for a new chuck.

You said that you have a 0-1/8" keyless chuck, which is standard on
that drill. That is what is on the one I have. I beleive that Gunner
had a couple small chucks for sale, but that was a year or so ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:48:49 PM UTC-6, Michael Terrell wrote:
Berties Miniatures wrote:

> On Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:03:20 PM UTC-6, Michael Terrell wrote:
> > Berties Miniatures wrote:
> > >
> > > I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless..
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >

> > Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
> > press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.
> >
> > http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html
>
> Thanks. I don't want to modify the drill press only change the chucks if it is possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I'm looking to find a used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I will ask Cameron but not sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what they want for a new chuck.

You said that you have a 0-1/8" keyless chuck, which is standard on
that drill. That is what is on the one I have. I beleive that Gunner
had a couple small chucks for sale, but that was a year or so ago.

Thanks. I did say I had a 0 to 1/8" but I meant to say I had the 0 to 1/16". I need the 1/8 or 5/32.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures wrote:

> I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html

Thanks. I don't want to modify the drill press only change the chucks if it is possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I'm looking to find a used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I will ask Cameron but not sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what they want for a new chuck.

You said that you have a 0-1/8" keyless chuck, which is standard on
that drill. That is what is on the one I have. I beleive that Gunner
had a couple small chucks for sale, but that was a year or so ago.

Thanks. I did say I had a 0 to 1/8" but I meant to say I had the 0 to 1/16". I need the 1/8 or 5/32.

Here is a PDF of the owner's manual, in case you didn't get it with
your drill:

http://watchmaking.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/7/9/1179986/setup_and_use_manual.pdf

I doesn't say what the taper is.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-12, Berties Miniatures wrote:

I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an
Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able
to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type
chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

They are very nice drills. Make sure to lube them frequently,
because they are bronze sleeve bearings instead of ball or roller
bearings, and will wear loose fairly quickly with no (or improper) lube.

Mine came with a 0-1/8" Albrecht, as did one I used at work. I
needed the larger grip at work, and swapped a Jacobs keyed chuck from a
"sensitive drill adaptor" (sliding fit in a 1/2" shank, with a spring
return and a driving key inside it, with a ball bearing mounted ring to
grip to pull it down) years ago.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any
idea where to get the chuck I need?

IIRC, it is JT0 -- but the easy way to tell is to pop the
Albrecht chuck off the spindle and you will find the size stamped in the
end of the chuck's Jacobs taper collar. Since you are planning to swap
in a larger chuck, there is no point to not taking it off at some point
anyway.

Beware the switch burning up if switched under higher loads.
The switch is too small for what it is handling. Also, higher loads in
the "low speed" switch position will get the built-in series resistor
quite hot. Better to do what I have done with mine -- never used the
"low" speed position, and use a Dremel style speed control to change the
speed.

Is yours new enough to have the clear plastic belt guard on it?
Mine came without one, and yes, I did get my little finger caught in it
once, trying to stabilize the drill press when I was using it where I
could not bolt it down.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures wrote:

; I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It
has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd
like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs
0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have
any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html

Thanks. I don't want to modify the drill press only change the chucks
if it is possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I'm looking to
find a used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I will ask
Cameron but not sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what they want for
a new chuck.

Oh! You have a 1/16" chuck. You said above 1/8" for both what
it had and one of the options to switch in. Yes, 1/8" Albrecht is
standard on some of them, including mine, and the one I got at work. I
suspect that the 1/16" was a special order.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures > wrote:
> I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.
>
> Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?
>
> Thanks.

I just got one of them too- it's a nifty little machine.

Call the people at cameron. They're friendly, have the chucks and can explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the
bearings.

cameronmicrodrillpress.com

nifty it is! I mainly want to use it as a pin router with micro end
mills and cutters for making duplicated items in wood and light metal.

Expect trouble with using any side loading cutter like that with
any Jacobs taper. You need something with a drawbar to avoid having the
chuck (whatever size) vibrate loose from the spindle's taper.

And swapping in a different spindle is asking for trouble,
because the spindle is a superfinished steel running in bronze sleeve
bearings, and anything you swap in will probably chew up the bearings.

*Please* don't do this to this nice drill press. I would not do
it to mine, and I got mine *new* back when I could get it for $150.00 :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Berties Miniatures" wrote in message
I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an
Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be
able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32"
key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any
idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartme...hucks/550.html

My Jacobs #0 will barely take a 3/16" bit, with effort. #13 fits
without forcing it. The arbor is 0JT.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures > wrote:
> I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.
>
> Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?
>
> Thanks.

I just got one of them too- it's a nifty little machine.

Call the people at cameron. They're friendly, have the chucks and can explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the
bearings.

cameronmicrodrillpress.com

nifty it is! I mainly want to use it as a pin router with micro end
mills and cutters for making duplicated items in wood and light metal.

Expect trouble with using any side loading cutter like that with
any Jacobs taper. You need something with a drawbar to avoid having the
chuck (whatever size) vibrate loose from the spindle's taper.

And swapping in a different spindle is asking for trouble,
because the spindle is a superfinished steel running in bronze sleeve
bearings, and anything you swap in will probably chew up the bearings.

they sell hollow spindles. I'm not sure if they suggest a factory install
for this option though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/12/2012 21:03, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Berties Miniatures wrote:

I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html

Nice website.

Simi-Automated??

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Berties Miniatures wrote:

I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill
press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/index.html

Nice website.

Simi-Automated??

You'll have to ask them. I found that link last year when I bought
my Cameron at an estate sale. I had to track down some parts and found
the OEM website.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 12, 7:24*pm, Berties Miniatures wrote:
I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and * *Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

MSC Manhattan Supply Corp has Jacobs, Albrecht, and import models of
drill chucks.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message ...
Jim - did you ever check the accuracy of the 0JT chuck you got from
victornet.com? And if you did, what were the results?
Hul

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartme...hucks/550.html

My Jacobs #0 will barely take a 3/16" bit, with effort. #13 fits
without forcing it. The arbor is 0JT.
jsw

I bought mine locally, that's just a reference.

I haven't checked it because none of my 50+ year old machine tools run
perfectly true.

jsw