Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Regaining the tarnish on a silver(metal relatedg) ring

My lovely bride has an 'inexpensive' silver ring that she _really_
likes and wears most of the time. It came with a lovely "tarnish"
that gives it some character. She has had the ring re-pronged twice
and each time it has come back nicely cleaned and shiny. The tarnish
comes back but takes quite a while.
Is there an "easy", "quick" way to renew the tarnish?
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fOn 2012-07-08, Bob Gentry wrote:
My lovely bride has an 'inexpensive' silver ring that she _really_
likes and wears most of the time. It came with a lovely "tarnish"
that gives it some character. She has had the ring re-pronged twice
and each time it has come back nicely cleaned and shiny. The tarnish
comes back but takes quite a while.
Is there an "easy", "quick" way to renew the tarnish?
rgentry at oz dot net

Yes, boil an electrolyte solution of salt and soda, put a clump of
aluminum foil into the boilig electrolyte, then lower the ring in it.

I forgot if it needs to touch the electrolyte or not.

Works great.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Gentry" wrote in message
My lovely bride has an 'inexpensive' silver ring that she _really_
likes and wears most of the time. It came with a lovely "tarnish"
that gives it some character. She has had the ring re-pronged twice
and each time it has come back nicely cleaned and shiny. The tarnish
comes back but takes quite a while.
Is there an "easy", "quick" way to renew the tarnish?
rgentry at oz dot net

Normally it is done with a chemical called liver of sulfur (potassium
polysulfide).
The jeweler who did the retipping probably has some.

It is very stinky and you can get it through a jewelry supply or sculpture
supply company.
You can get a reasonable color with cold bluing solution but it doesn't get
a solid black color.
In a pinch you can paint it.
Or you can ignore it because it will oxidize on it's own in a few weeks.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15278" wrote in message
fOn 2012-07-08, Bob Gentry wrote:
My lovely bride has an 'inexpensive' silver ring that she _really_
likes and wears most of the time. It came with a lovely "tarnish"
that gives it some character. She has had the ring re-pronged twice
and each time it has come back nicely cleaned and shiny. The tarnish
comes back but takes quite a while.
Is there an "easy", "quick" way to renew the tarnish?
rgentry at oz dot net

Yes, boil an electrolyte solution of salt and soda, put a clump of
aluminum foil into the boilig electrolyte, then lower the ring in it.

I forgot if it needs to touch the electrolyte or not.

Works great.

No. Iggy. That will remove the tarnish.
He wants to get it back.
Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15278 fired this volley in
:

Yes, boil an electrolyte solution of salt and soda, put a clump of
aluminum foil into the boilig electrolyte, then lower the ring in it.

No, Ig. That REMOVES the silver sulfide, which is the brownish tarnish.

Exposure to H2S (hydrogen sulfide) will rapidly tarnish silver.

Although it's a bit stinky to do, one can create it easily by allowing a
hen's egg to go blinky, then dipping the ring in the yolk.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Exposure to H2S (hydrogen sulfide) will rapidly tarnish silver.

Other active sulfur compounds can also work.

Many craft shops will carry "liver of sulfur", which is the potassium
polysulfide mentioned in another response here.

It works _really_ fast on clean metal, so you might end up having lovey
wearing OFF the tarnish, instead of increasing it slowly.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Although it's a bit stinky to do, one can create it easily by allowing a
hen's egg to go blinky, then dipping the ring in the yolk.

Really don't even need to let it get that bad--egg yolk is pretty good
at it as is---which is why as a kid had to polish the forks so
frequently--farm breakfast consisted of eggs 'n bacon/ham every
day...and since Dad liked over medium, that's what we had! But Mom
thought the silver should be shiny and kids were her method of choice of
seeing that it was.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/8/2012 6:46 PM, Bob Gentry wrote:
My lovely bride has an 'inexpensive' silver ring that she _really_
likes and wears most of the time. It came with a lovely "tarnish"
that gives it some character. She has had the ring re-pronged twice
and each time it has come back nicely cleaned and shiny. The tarnish
comes back but takes quite a while.
Is there an "easy", "quick" way to renew the tarnish?
rgentry at oz dot net

stick the ring in a plastic bag with a slice of onion, doesn't have to
be in contact with it.

--
:3 )~

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mouse fired this volley in news:jtd5o4$lo9$1@dont-
email.me:

stick the ring in a plastic bag with a slice of onion, doesn't have to
be in contact with it.

Oh, Yeah! I forgot methyl mercaptan is a sulfide!

You could also just fill a baggie with cooking gas, and put the ring in.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-08, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus15278 fired this volley in
:

Yes, boil an electrolyte solution of salt and soda, put a clump of
aluminum foil into the boilig electrolyte, then lower the ring in it.

No, Ig. That REMOVES the silver sulfide, which is the brownish tarnish.

Exposure to H2S (hydrogen sulfide) will rapidly tarnish silver.

Although it's a bit stinky to do, one can create it easily by allowing a
hen's egg to go blinky, then dipping the ring in the yolk.

LLoyd

Sorry., I misread his question.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

First thing I thought, is that you should tell the store people not to
polish, that you like the tarnish.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob Gentry" wrote in message
My lovely bride has an 'inexpensive' silver ring that she _really_
likes and wears most of the time. It came with a lovely "tarnish"
that gives it some character. She has had the ring re-pronged twice
and each time it has come back nicely cleaned and shiny. The tarnish
comes back but takes quite a while.
Is there an "easy", "quick" way to renew the tarnish?
rgentry at oz dot net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:35:23 -0500, dpb wrote:

Although it's a bit stinky to do, one can create it easily by allowing a
hen's egg to go blinky, then dipping the ring in the yolk.

Really don't even need to let it get that bad--egg yolk is pretty good
at it as is---which is why as a kid had to polish the forks so
frequently--farm breakfast consisted of eggs 'n bacon/ham every
day...and since Dad liked over medium, that's what we had! But Mom
thought the silver should be shiny and kids were her method of choice of
seeing that it was.

According to my food chemistry books the sulfur is in the whites, not
the yolks.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:51:18 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Mouse fired this volley in news:jtd5o4$lo9$1@dont-
email.me:

stick the ring in a plastic bag with a slice of onion, doesn't have to
be in contact with it.

Oh, Yeah! I forgot methyl mercaptan is a sulfide!

You could also just fill a baggie with cooking gas, and put the ring in.

LLoyd

We're in the process of trying the onion and the egg options and will
post an up-date shortly.

Lloyd, a question. We have used both propane and natural gas for
cooking. Is one of these what you refer to as 'cooking gas'?

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Gentry fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, a question. We have used both propane and natural gas for
cooking. Is one of these what you refer to as 'cooking gas'?

Ordinarily both have methyl mercaptan added as an "indicator", so you can
smell it.

Both gasses are odorless, otherwise.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:50:20 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Bob Gentry fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, a question. We have used both propane and natural gas for
cooking. Is one of these what you refer to as 'cooking gas'?

Ordinarily both have methyl mercaptan added as an "indicator", so you can
smell it.

Both gasses are odorless, otherwise.

LLoyd

Thanks! Will try that next.

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I seemed to have missed the start of this thread. The traditional material
for tarnishing silver is "livers of sulfur", which is available from
jewelery & art supply places. I got some at a Dick Blick art store a few
years back.

Doug White