Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Battery Powered Impact Wrench?

My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Two men I know, one on email and one guy from a tow truck service who helped
change my tire. Have cordless impact, and are very pleased.

My only information, is to buy name brand. And expect to spend between $400
and $600, to start with.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Joe" wrote in message
My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Joe wrote:

My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

My experience with electric impact wrenches suggests that a "cross
wrench" is a heck of a lot more reliable for getting lug nuts off. Add a
can of antiseize and they come off nicer the next time.

For small stuff (most motorcycle) and the backwoods, a "manual hammer
driven impact tool" works. Both Snap-on and Sears should have them, at
differing price points of course. For JIS or Phillips head screws, it's
the best tool (JIS do work a lot better with a JIS bit, rather than a
Phillips bit, of course - just being X shaped does not make it Phillips,
especially if it came from Japan.)

McMaster has both 3/8 and 1/2" drive versions of those - probably better
than Sears, at a guess, and Sears does not have a 1/2" drive version.

IMHO, also far better in the "wilds of wherever" than packing a battery
powered tool a long way from an outlet for its charger.

McMaster also shows torque ranges for the electrics (& pneumatics) they
sell, so you could use that information in your shopping.

I've yet to see an electric "impact wrench" that was more than a
nut-spinner - ie, anything they can move a wrench without a cheater bar
can move, and if the wrench with a cheater bar failed, they fail too. As
far as I can tell from what I see in the catalog, little has changed and
the price on the "high torque" one will buy a pneumatic that can run
rings around it...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-18, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Joe wrote:

[...]

I have two electric impact wrenches, a 1/2 and 3/4. Both work
great. The 1/2 is an old Black and Decker, and the 3/4 is a Dewalt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe" wrote in message ...

My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

Thanks

I work at a factory with some 90-100 Maintenance Electricians and 90-100
Maintenance Mechanics, many of them have DeWalt drills and impacts, they
seem to hold up well. I have some of the DeWalt 18V XRP tools, when Lithium
batteries came out they made them to fit the 18V tools, probably still do.
DeWalt has impacts in compact versions plus they have a larger 1/2" model
that would probably be what you want for lug nuts. I would recommend the
DeWalt 18V XRP tools because they have a large selection of compatible tools
such as drills, angle drills, grinders, lights, jigsaw, circular saw,
reciprocating saw... There may be others just as good but I like the DeWalt
for their large selection of tools plus nickel or lithium batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/DeWALT-DW059K-...mpact+cordless

Lithium Battery for DeWalt 18V XRP tools:
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC9180C...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe wrote:
... - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

If mainly for car lug nuts, I'd think that a more cost effective choice
would be a 12v that runs on the car battery.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:06:49 -0400, Joe wrote:

My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

I do not know how the cordless ones work on car lug nuts. I found mine
useless on the lawn mower. Had to run and buy a corded one to remove
the blade. Most of the manufacturers give the torque figures so
research those.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:06:49 -0400, Joe wrote:

My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

I got the Makita LXT (3.0 amp hour) kit with the BDT141Z driver.

Having used both Bosch (14.4v Nicad which I ran for 4 years) and
Makita (18v lithium, which I've run for 2 now) impacts, I can highly
recommend either. Expect to spend around $260/300 for the kit with
driver, 2 batts, charger, and case. Both tools work flawlessly.

http://tinyurl.com/6pqhjls and http://tinyurl.com/7j4s6vf
It looks like the Bosch has a bit more torque, 1500 vs 1330 in lbs.

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Ecnerwal wrote:

My experience with electric impact wrenches suggests that a "cross
wrench" is a heck of a lot more reliable for getting lug nuts off. Add a
can of antiseize and they come off nicer the next time.

The OP needs a good cordless impact for present... and I wish I had a
suggestion.

However, having said that I agree that a big, cross type rim wrench is
the right technology to carry for boon dock emergency situations.
Simple, reliable, powerful and practically indestructible.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe" wrote in message
My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is
for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him
one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a
good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

Thanks

When size and weight matter, and especially on a dirt bike, I prefer a
long breaker bar:
http://www.ridgerocktools.com/Images...347AM00205.jpg
that can be clamped to a straight frame member. A swivel head one will
spin the lug nut off pretty quickly after it's loosened. If a lug nut
is too tight you can lift the handle (and wheel) with the jack and
bounce the fender. Front wheels can be locked with a stick tied to the
steering wheel, depressing the brake pedal.

I carried an impact driver like this
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/co...pactdriver.jpg
and a hatchet to hammer it, with a metal edge cover, in the saddle
bags of my road bike. It won't pop out and strip the slots of a
Phillips screw as easily as a power impact driver. When I got
it -really- stuck in mud way out in the woods I used the hatchet and a
folding saw to cut branches and laid down a corduroy road to walk it
out.

jsw