Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default impact wrench, to buy or not to buy

dave wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of getting an impact wrench. (battery
elect. driven). I do the (all too) occasional work on the car etc and
have heard how useful these thing are supposed to be (eg getting
rusted nuts off etc). From what I can see though, it'd be tricky to
get something the size of the wrenches I've seen anywhere near an
exhaust nut!

go easy on the exhaust nuts if they are into the manifold. it's all too
easy to shear the stud off resulting in a right nightmare job.

in garages, I used to use a 1/2" air driven driver with what we used to
call a 'squiggle'. like a universal joint for impact wrenches but not to
be confused with the crappy angle socket adaptors found in socket
sets. can't remember the /real/ name for them, ask any snap-on man
for an exhaust nut squiggle, he'll know what you're on about.

natch, you'll need some extension bars.

hth

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"." [email protected] wrote in message
dave wrote:
[...]

The wiggle sockets are called universal sockets (snap-on) each one is about
thirty pounds, they consist of an impact socket with a sort of limited arc
cv joint in the middle, but money well spent as you can do many jobs that
would otherwise require dismantling. For instance the bolt that secures the
ball joint on an escort suspension arm can be undone with a universal and an
air wrench without removing the wheel. Many crank pulley bolts and cam
wheel bolts can be got with a universal too. Propshaft bolts, exhaust
bolts, gearbox bolts etc.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

dave wrote:
[...]

wot ee said, but 20 years ago we used to call em squiggles.

£30 you say ? there's inflation !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
[...]

my nephew has just ordered an 18mm universal from the snap on man, it is 43
pounds for the one socket !!

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mrcheerful
. wrote:
my nephew has just ordered an 18mm universal from the snap on man, it is
43 pounds for the one socket !!

I take it he works for my local BMW stealer - 120 squids an hour.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

dave wrote:
[...]

will last a lifetime tho. I returned a v. large snap-on screwdriver which had
chipped quite badly. when asked, I replied that of /course/ I'd used it to chisel
at something, that's what a v. big screwdriver is for. the snap-on man laughed
and ordered a replacement. expensive but worth it with customer service like that.

things might be different now ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
. [email protected] wrote:
will last a lifetime tho. I returned a v. large snap-on screwdriver
which had chipped quite badly. when asked, I replied that of /course/
I'd used it to chisel at something, that's what a v. big screwdriver is
for. the snap-on man laughed and ordered a replacement. expensive but
worth it with customer service like that.

Even Halfords offer a lifetime warranty on their pro range.

things might be different now ?

What the Snap On agents offer to replace seems to depend on how much money
you spend with them. Things that do suffer from wear - like cross head
screwdrivers and allen keys don't seem to be any better than others -
despite costing more.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
[...]

The socket is actually a gift for me, but he wanted me to know how much it
is costing (me indirectly) !!!

Yes, snap-on still change stuff like screwdrivers, spanners, ratchets etc.
But they couldn't get the bits for an old snap on grinder, nor offer to
replace it with new !! I was a bit disappointed !!

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

dave wrote:
[...]

Madness. Snap-On are a rip-off. Excellent quality but way over priced.
Other make similar lifetime guarantees and don't charge silly money.

They survive by travelling to garages and engineering places in a sales van
offering finance. If you have a CCJ against you, you will probably get
finance from them.