Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I use an impact wrench

How do I use an impact wrench?

Which way should it turn when I'm compressing it if I am about to to
use it to unscrew a bolt or screw? Which direction are you looking
from it?

If I push the front of wrench back into the back of the wrench it
turns either clockwise or counterclockwise, when looked at from the
heal of the wrench, depending on the setting. (The opposite of
course when looked at from the tip of the wrench)

Which way should it turn if I want to use it to unscrew a bolt or
screw? Which way are you looking from it?

I'm trying to unscrew the screws holding on the oil filter of my
recently acquired 69 Honda, not run for 35 years. Also the starter
motor cover. So I can clean and oil them respectively.

I have this problem every time I need to use this wrench and I figure
it out, but since I'm over 50, or maybe since I was 20, I can't
remember from one time to the next! This time, I think I have it, but
none of 5 screws will budge!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty.

In other words, as you look at the head of the bolt, turn it left, or
counterclockwise to loosen. Clockwise tightens.

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:24:08 GMT, RLM wrote:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:33:41 +0000, RLM wrote:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:13:26 -0400, mm wrote:

[...]

Push the button toward the socket end to tighten. Push it to the rear to
remove.
Push forward on, push back off.

Did you mean an impact "driver"? Push in on the driver and twist in the
direction you want the screw to move. Lefty loosey, righty tighty. Then
hit it with a hammer.

I guess I did mean a driver. Sorry, and I appreciate the repost. Let
me try it and get back to you.

P.S. This accounts for why all my hits in google were were electric
impact wrenches!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:35:36 -0400, "Newsreader"
wrote:

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty.

In other words, as you look at the head of the bolt, turn it left, or
counterclockwise to loosen. Clockwise tightens.

I know that. (I've known that since I was 6**.)

It's how to get the impact driver to go that way when I hit it with a
hammer!

**Maybe younger, now that I remember playing with my big brother's
Erector Set.

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty.

In other words, as you look at the head of the bolt, turn it left, or
counterclockwise to loosen. Clockwise tightens.

I know that. (I've known that since I was 6**.)

It's how to get the impact driver to go that way when I hit it with a
hammer!

**Maybe younger, now that I remember playing with my big brother's
Erector Set.

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Press the driver bit tightly into the screw recess (or otherwise hold the
bit), turn the driver hard left (counterclockwise) until it clicks around in
that direction. While holding the driver tightly in this manner (like you
are trying to loosen the screw) hit the top of the driver. If you need to
repeat, just be sure you have the driver clicked counterclockwise and put as
much turning force on it as you reasonably can while hitting the end. You
have to be trying to turn the screw when you hit the driver for it to work.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
[...]

OK, I think that's what I've been doing, but tomorrow I'll only try it
one direction! (I tried a bit in the other direction when I got
frustrated.)

I think we're talknig about the same thing, but just in case, I found
a picture of another brand that looks much like it.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LIS-29200.html

I think Don is talking about the same thing too, and that his
instructions are the same, although this one doesn't really click or
ratchet. It has two positions, left and right (but I haven't been
sure which is which) and will go from one to another if you twist
while pushing in.

Thanks to both of you.

Googling for impact driver still gave mostly impact wrenches,
especially cordless. Those probably work great for bolts, but won't
work at all I think for screws. It's the fact that the hammer is
hitting it and moving it towards the work at the same time that torque
is applied that keeps the bit in the slot. Yet based on the number of
hits, these don't seem very popular. Googling for
'impact driver' 'ace hardware'
lowes
'home depot'
'harbor freight'
gave hits but none were this manual driver.

They must not sell many of these things

(I included harbor freight expecially because it has the included
instructions as a downloadable file for, I think, everything they
sell.

Adding 'manual' didn't help, and gave me references to instruction
manuals, but not for manual impact drivers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's how to get the impact driver to go that way when I hit it with a
hammer!

Place the end of the driver so that it is perpendicular to a hard
surface. Put the palm of your hand on the hammer end. Push
hard. Notice the direction of rotation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty.

In other words, as you look at the head of the bolt, turn it left, or
counterclockwise to loosen. Clockwise tightens.

I know that. (I've known that since I was 6**.)

It's how to get the impact driver to go that way when I hit it with a
hammer!

**Maybe younger, now that I remember playing with my big brother's
Erector Set.

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's not true. That is the whole reason there is a CW and CCW setting on
the tool. When you hit it with a hammer, it turns one direction or the other
without regard to the tension you put in either direction, or none at all.
The advice to put it on a hard slick surface, like a tool box, and press on
it, is a good way to see which way it is going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shoebox Chevy" wrote in message

wrote:

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty.

In other words, as you look at the head of the bolt, turn it left, or
counterclockwise to loosen. Clockwise tightens.

I know that. (I've known that since I was 6**.)

It's how to get the impact driver to go that way when I hit it with a
hammer!

**Maybe younger, now that I remember playing with my big brother's
Erector Set.

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Ok, but I just can't see how or why you would set the tool to CCW and hit it
while holding CW pressure or no pressure on it. My Snap-On driver has no CW
or CCW markings or settings, you just turn it the direction you want the
screw to go and hit it. Maybe others are different.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty.

In other words, as you look at the head of the bolt, turn it left, or
counterclockwise to loosen. Clockwise tightens.

I know that. (I've known that since I was 6**.)

It's how to get the impact driver to go that way when I hit it with a
hammer!

**Maybe younger, now that I remember playing with my big brother's
Erector Set.

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm not saying you shouldn't put tension on it. I put tension in the
direction it is going too. I'm just saying that if you have it set for CW,
even if you are putting pressure on it in the CCW direction to loosen a
screw, when you hit it with the hammer, it will turn CW, tightening it. You
can't overcome the direction it is set necessarily.

Mine is always set for CCW, since I have never used it for, nor have I
found, reverse thread screws, so I don't have to remember which way it is
set.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"Don Young" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

This one doesn't say CW or CCW, but it does say R and L, but there is
no real indication if it is set for R or L, no dot on the other half.

So what about which direction one turned the part to get there? The
problem was that it wasn't loosening, so I wanted to do the thing
where you push it in while pressing against a smooth surface (although
I just held it in my hand) and see which way it goes. I thought I had
it right, but it DIDN'T work, so I started to have doubts.

The UPSHOT OF ALL THIS IS THAT IT DIDN'T WORK UNTIL I GOT OUT THE
PROPANE TORCH AND HEATED THE CASE BEHIND THE HEAD OF THE SCREWS.

I got the first two, the cover plate for the starter motor out easily,
but still needed to hit it with the impact driver.

The 3 for the oil filter, which turned out to have barely any dirt
(oil paste) in it anyhow, each took about 2 to 3 minutes with the
torch, mostly around the case and a little on the screw head.

And I've gotten one of the clutch cover screws out of 4 out, and need
to get an extension to reach the other 3. Harbor Freight has a set
very cheap.

I may also need to take off the right side cover, if the kick starter
really has a broken spring or something inside.

The JCWhitney ad for impact drivers mentions striker plates,
motorcycle cases, and body panels, so motorcycle engine cases are
right up there in the list of things hard to take apart. I wasn't
sure I needed this thing when I bought it (for 10 dollars) maybe 20
years ago, but it's good.
Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I got mine for removing Harley case screws many, many years ago. It will
help loosen the screws if you hit them several times fairly hard with a
punch and hammer. If the slots are worn, you can use a flat punch to force
them together a little and then drive the bit back into the slots. This will
tighten the fit and will often ease the tension and corrosion enough to free
stuck screws.

Use an extension that is as short and fat as possible to maintain the impact
shock effect. A long slender extension will greatly reduce the effectiveness
of the driver.

Don Young