Jeff

Default Which portable impact wrench

When I had the spring replaced on my garage door (the kind that winds up,
definitely a scary thing to try yourself) the repairman used a portable
impact wrench to remove some of the nuts and lag bolts. Nice tool. Was
looking at getting one for myself. Seems that they come with 1/4" hex, 3/8"
and 1/2" square drives. They 12v models also generate 90 to 100 ft-lbs
torque. I have both 3/8 and 1/2 sockets and it seems to me 1/4" hex is too
small for that much torque and less convenient for sockets. Last time I
changed my oil had a hard time loosening the drain plug. I just drive one
side of my car up on 3 2x6 's I nailed together so don't have much room to
get much leverage. Thought the impact wrench would work well for this
situation.

Any advice on type of drive and brand would be appreciated. Am leaning to a
Makita as I have a 12V portable drill and have seen drives without batteries
and charger for sale on ebay. In the store they are close to $200 so would
like to save some $.

Thanks in advance.

Gort

Jeff wrote:
[...]

Before you decide on one check the prices for the various batteries and
chargers. Some makes are outrageous, considering how often the average
person uses one.

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
Bob G.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:01:11 -0700, Gort wrote:

Jeff wrote:
[...]

===================
To be honest I would NEVER use any impact wrench on a drain plug I
would buy a replacement ball cock type drain plug for a few bucks...

Now back to the brand & size to buy.... IMHO 1/2 inch is the only way
to go...especially for ocassional use.... BUT 100 pounds of torque may
not be enough to remove a lug nut that some kid at Mr. Tire installed
a year or so ago...

I do not own a battery powered Impact wrench so I can not comment on
how well they "work" or any specific brands... I use the old fashioned
type....80 gal 7 Hp Compressor ... driving regular air tools... just
never really had the need for a "Very" portable impact wrench...

Bob G.
No

If you can get a makita that uses the same battery as your cordless drill I
would DEFINITELY go that route! I wish manufactures would not change their
battery styles so often.

To Milwaukee - When will you come out with a cordless impact driver, like
Hitachi, makita and others with a hex style chuck and use your 18V
battery???