Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Snow drill press - What to do?

At auction last weekend, ended up with a Snow 2-UD drill press.
This is not much bigger than a regular DP, except much heavier. Has
coolant pump and pneumatic table.
I'm probably going to clean it up and see if I can find a VFD to get
it running.
So far I have found zero information on it. This model is no longer
supported by the company that bought Snow, though they still offer
newer Snow-branded machines that appear to be descended from this one.

At any rate, does anyone happen to have some documentation on this
model?
Anyone here (Gunner?) familiar enough with this model to tell me the
basics of running it?

Lastly, what sort of shop would have a use for this machine? I'll
probably end up finding a new home for it, but for now it's a bit
intriguing.

Any info appreciated
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Why are you so scared of contacting the company that bought Snow ?

The worst they can do is reject your inquiry, something
most would agree is bad for business even ion the case of an aquired
line....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/16/2012 2:01 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

as far as I know, Snow made tappers, not drill presses. I scrapped one
of those a few years ago, couldn't get any interest in it - it had 2 HP
motor, 1 hp coolant pump, and all the things you describe, the pulleys
were phenolic, pneumatic table lift. Unless you need to tap a lot of
holes, it's probably scrap metal even if it works perfectly (the one I
scrapped worked perfectly, no space for it)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

*wrote in message
[...]

Well, I thought it intriguing, it doesn't take up much room, and I
bought it cheap. This one has a drill chuck mounted, and a fixture
set up for drilling. One of the info plates said "Deep hole drilling".
But I can see where it would do well at tapping.
I'm going to clean it up and play with it, then it will probably go to
ebay and see what happens.

As for contacting the company, i emailed them and got no response. I
may try calling them next week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Jun 17, 7:58*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

Thats what I recall as well.

Google Snow Tapping Machine

Gunner

This one was set up for drilling. It also has a mechanism on the front
of the head that with a plate that says "Deep hole drilling"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Jun 17, 2:53*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

http://www.autoinc.com/products.aspx?category_id=23

http://screwsorting.com/products.aspx?category_id=6

etc etc

Manuals are also available in pdf

Gunner

I downloaded those pages. I'm not sure they apply to my machine.
Mine is a 2-UD, which is not mentioned anywhere on this site.
I have yet to find a date anywhere on the multitude of plaques and
labels, but I'd guess it's ca 1950