Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Snow drill press - What to do?

On Jun 17, 7:58*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 09:33:18 -0700, Bill
wrote:

On 6/16/2012 2:01 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
*wrote in message
At auction last weekend, ended up with a Snow 2-UD drill press.
This is not much bigger than a regular DP, except much heavier. Has
coolant pump and pneumatic table.
I'm probably going to clean it up and see if I can find a VFD to get
it running.
So far I have found zero information on it. This model is no longer
supported by the company that bought Snow, though they still offer
newer Snow-branded machines that appear to be descended from this one..

At any rate, does anyone happen to have some documentation on this
model?
Anyone here (Gunner?) *familiar enough *with this model to tell me the
basics of running it?

Lastly, what sort of shop would have a use for this machine? *I'll
probably end up finding a new home for it, but for now it's a bit
intriguing.

Any info appreciated

Why are you so scared of contacting the company that bought Snow ?

The worst they can do is reject your inquiry, something
most would agree is bad for business even ion the case of an aquired
line....

as far as I know, Snow made tappers, not drill presses. *I scrapped one
of those a few years ago, couldn't get any interest in it - it had 2 HP
motor, 1 hp coolant pump, and all the things you describe, the pulleys
were phenolic, pneumatic table lift. *Unless you need to tap a lot of
holes, it's probably scrap metal even if it works perfectly (the one I
scrapped worked perfectly, no space for it)

Thats what I recall as well.

Google Snow Tapping Machine

Gunner

This one was set up for drilling. It also has a mechanism on the front
of the head that with a plate that says "Deep hole drilling"