Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nuts!

Our metalworking group was given a couple of bench grinders.
Both run, but are missing the nuts and flanges needed to install wheels.

If you have one of these el-cheapo's in you shop, please get some info
for me.

Size, diameter, thread for both shaft nuts on

Cummins 6"
No. 6349
Model BG-6
Claims to be 3/4 hp.
MFG # 31-031

and

Northern Industrial Tools
8" bench grinder
Claims to be 3/4 hp
3400 RPM

I found manuals online but the parts breakdown says stuff like
"Nut, left end". No size, thread, or part number.

No rush, just asking around.

technomaNge
--
I got a McMaster account, and I ain't afraid to use it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge fired this volley in news:jq3u83$gq$1@dont-
email.me:

Our metalworking group was given a couple of bench grinders.
Both run, but are missing the nuts and flanges needed to install

wheels.

If you have one of these el-cheapo's in you shop, please get some info
for me.

Size, diameter, thread for both shaft nuts on

EXCUSE me? Your "metalworking group"? What kind of metalworking do you
do, hammered brass lamp shades?

I can't believe anyone who does "metalworking" wouldn't know how to
measure the diameter and thread pitch of a shaft.

And flanges follow a rule-of-thumb (which I won't give you now) for their
diameter vs. the wheel diameter.

Figure it out, IF you're a "metalworker", F'Gosh sakes!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-30, technomaNge wrote:
Our metalworking group was given a couple of bench grinders.
Both run, but are missing the nuts and flanges needed to install wheels.

If you have one of these el-cheapo's in you shop, please get some info
for me.

I don't have either of these, but I do have a comment below.

Size, diameter, thread for both shaft nuts on

[ ... ]

I found manuals online but the parts breakdown says stuff like
"Nut, left end". No size, thread, or part number.

The reason why the nut is listed separately for the left vs the
right ends is because the left hand wheel has a left-hand threaded nut,
so it tightens when the motor spins up, rather than loosening. Back in
the past, car lug nuts used to have a left-hand thread on one side for
similar reasons.

I could measure a quite old 6" grinder (not sure the brand at he
moment, but it works well), and a much more recent 8" Jet, but no bets
for the threads matching what you have.

Why not measure the shafts. Diameter of the thread, and the
pitch (with a thread pitch gauge). What you have may use metric or inch
threads -- but you *will* need left hand thread on the left hand end of
each.

For making the flanges -- make some that come out to within
about 1/4" to 1/8" of the edge of the blotter paper on the wheels. That
should be about right. Undercut the center so the pressure is only on
about the last 1/4" of the side toward the wheel. Be sure to machine
them so the flat at the center of the end away from the wheel is
parallel to the flat which presses against the blotter paper on the
wheel.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fired this volley in news:jq3u83$gq$1@dont-

Figure it out, IF you're a "metalworker", F'Gosh sakes!

LLoyd

Eat **** and die, sperm-breath.

Have you ever dished a piece of 16 ga. stainless
into a helmet with just a hammer and an anvil?

You must have forgotten that you started with nothing.

Welcome to my bit-bucket, asshat.

technomaNge
--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

With that in mind, I'd like to thank all those assholes in my killfile.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-30, wrote:
Our metalworking group was given a couple of bench grinders.
Both run, but are missing the nuts and flanges needed to install wheels.

--- snip good advise --------------
Good Luck,
DoN.

Oh, I know about left and right hand threads. Yes, I can measure the
shafts and use big washers for flanges until we can do better. I guess
a thread gage is my next purchase, then off to McMaster.

Thanks, DoN.

technomaNge
--
That's fine in practice,
but it will never work in theory.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"technomaNge" wrote in message
fired this volley in news:jq3u83$gq$1@dont-

Figure it out, IF you're a "metalworker", F'Gosh sakes!

LLoyd

Eat **** and die, sperm-breath.

Actually, you did kind of deserve it...

Have you ever dished a piece of 16 ga. stainless
into a helmet with just a hammer and an anvil?

It probably wouldn't be much of a problem for him, should the practical need
for such an item ever arise.

You must have forgotten that you started with nothing.

Welcome to my bit-bucket, asshat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/29/2012 9:08 PM, technomaNge wrote:
fired this volley in news:jq3u83$gq$1@dont-

Figure it out, IF you're a "metalworker", F'Gosh sakes!

LLoyd

Eat **** and die, sperm-breath.

Have you ever dished a piece of 16 ga. stainless
into a helmet with just a hammer and an anvil?

You must have forgotten that you started with nothing.

Welcome to my bit-bucket, asshat.

technomaNge

do you seriously believe that gratuitous rudeness is the way to get the
help you seek? You could have replied that your metal working involved
black smithing not machining rather than starting an insult fest that
cheapens all

--
For a $5 dollar donation today you get credit for $10 with HIM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-30, wrote:
Our metalworking group was given a couple of bench grinders.
Both run, but are missing the nuts and flanges needed to install wheels.

--- snip good advise --------------
Good Luck,
DoN.

Oh, I know about left and right hand threads. Yes, I can measure the
shafts and use big washers for flanges until we can do better. I guess
a thread gage is my next purchase, then off to McMaster.

Thanks, DoN.

technomaNge

Err... unless they are extremely fine threads you can measure thread
pitch quite accurately with a 6 inch steel scale.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this
volley in :

Actually, you did kind of deserve it...

'Couldn't care less. There's only so much "stupid" I can stand from
folks like that before I order them out of my shop.

If he'd said, "we want to start a group to _learn_ how to do
metalworking, and we were given some tools... how do I tell...(so and
so)", I'd have answered civilly.

He said, "our metalworking group" -- That's a group that does
metalworking. Then he asked questions an eight year old Soapbox Derby kid
would know how to answer.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Check at Ace Hardware.
Gunner

Polymer clay can be molded around an object and then baked to harden
it, so you have a pocketable sample of the thread size.

http://www.stampington.com/html/begi...s_polymer.html

I use Fimo and set it with a heat gun.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge fired this volley in news:jq46fu$6h9$1@dont-
email.me:

You must have forgotten that you started with nothing.

No, YOU started with nothing, and still have all of it.

I started with a brain. I built on that; built many of my tools, too.

If you'd had the decency to call yourself a tinsmith instead of a
"metalworker" (with all that conveys), then you'd have gotten a
reasonable answer.

(BTW... exactly what did you need that helmet for -- keeping away alien
thought-stealing waves? Did it have little kitty-ear holes? Was it for
one of your Anime costumes?snicker)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this
volley in :

Actually, you did kind of deserve it...

'Couldn't care less. There's only so much "stupid" I can stand from
folks like that before I order them out of my shop.

To be clear, HE kind of deserved it.

If he'd said, "we want to start a group to _learn_ how to do
metalworking, and we were given some tools... how do I tell...(so and
so)", I'd have answered civilly.

He said, "our metalworking group" -- That's a group that does
metalworking. Then he asked questions an eight year old Soapbox Derby kid
would know how to answer.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
technomaNge fired this volley in news:jq46fu$6h9$1@dont-
email.me:

(BTW... exactly what did you need that helmet for -- keeping away alien
thought-stealing waves?

Apparently it didn't work...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in news:X9GdnUWJacIyq1vSnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

To be clear, HE kind of deserved it.

Well, thanks. I think I got that, after I re-read your post.

It's not like me to shoot out flames on a first encounter. Some things,
though, just get my ire up really fast! G

It's like that rare social encounter, where you see a person across a room,
and even before hearing them speak or seeing them close-up, you just don't
like them. Those are rare, but they happen.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 May 2012 23:08:29 -0500, technomaNge wrote:

fired this volley in news:jq3u83$gq$1@dont-

Figure it out, IF you're a "metalworker", F'Gosh sakes!

LLoyd

Eat **** and die, sperm-breath.

Have you ever dished a piece of 16 ga. stainless into a helmet with just
a hammer and an anvil?

You must have forgotten that you started with nothing.

Welcome to my bit-bucket, asshat.

technomaNge

Handy USENET tip:

Do not come onto a group blind, ask a stupid question, and then get bent
out of shape because one of the respected regulars gets testy with you.
Because if you do, other regulars may just put you into their killfile.

Plonk-a-diddle, o technoposeur.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/30/2012 10:31 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Do not come onto a group blind, ask a stupid question, and then get bent
out of shape because one of the respected regulars gets testy with you.
Because if you do, other regulars may just put you into their killfile.

Plonk-a-diddle, o technoposeur.

Thank you, I am proud to be in your kill-file.
I did not come into the group blind, I've been lurking and
occasionally posting for about 3 years.

But I quibble with two of your points:
1. Stupid question?
With the vast knowledge displayed in this group, I asked a simple
question. I even said "No rush." because I didn't expect anyone
to drop their projects just to help me.

2. Respected regular?
Someone upstream stated that Lloyd acted other than he normally does.
I recollect that is true, and would not have jumped his ass if he had
put a smiley at the end of his rant. But too late now, he has not
appeared in my newsreader since I plonked him.

technomaNge
--
With the right filters, this newsgroup is very helpful.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge fired this volley in news:jq69en$ml1$1@dont-
email.me:

too late

Yep.
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
Polymer clay ...

Interesting stuff. Are there any other uses for it in the shop? I see
that is can be worked after hardening - what about drilling, and
tapping? Does it have a useful tensile strength?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
Polymer clay ...

Interesting stuff. Are there any other uses for it in the shop? I
see that is can be worked after hardening - what about drilling, and
tapping? Does it have a useful tensile strength?

It seems like a more convenient version of Bondo or plaster of Paris
to me; none have much structural strength. When I needed something
similarly moldable at work I used a blob of 5 minute epoxy in a
plastic bag, with WD40 or liquid hand soap for the release agent.

http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=096

Before Segway got an ABS rapid prototyping machine I had to patch some
things sintered from less durable materials. I like epoxy for freehand
sculpting. A heat gun sets it very quickly once it's right. Hot melt
glue is also quite versatile and easily worked to shape with an Ungar
Princess fine-nozzle heat gun. Epoxy is the only one with any
worthwhile mechanical strength.

jsw

Jam nuts, locking nuts Doug White Metalworking 3 July 25th 09 04:04 AM
nuts with nylon inserts versus lock washers and jamb nuts mm Home Repair 30 May 8th 08 04:36 AM
NUTS Debi Home Repair 26 April 12th 06 05:20 PM
aw nuts, saw nuts Enoch Root Woodworking 3 April 6th 06 09:31 PM
RIGHT WING NUTS vastly outnumber LEFT WING NUTS . ROBB Metalworking 0 September 28th 03 11:54 PM