Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default GLOAT die heaven

My son knew of a pile of press brake dies at his work. They are
cleaning up this week, so he brought the 3/4 ton pickup. He got a
scrap tag for 265 lb. steel ($.25 a lb.), thinking to get a few. His
boss told him to clean it up. "The Kid" said he was afraid to put more
in the truck when he was done, too much weight. He was sure to get
every form they had. Anyway, I got more press brake dies than I know
what to do with.

Should go well with the new shop press.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Awesome moment! Those dies will come very handy.

Kind of related... Someone gifted me remnants of an old welder
yesterday. The windings yielded 60 lbs of clean copper, plus about 400
lbs of steel, plus he gave me a frame for a go cart. I will actually
make a go cart.

There is a story behind the welder. I bought it 2 years ago for $0.99
on ebay and sold for $100 or so to the above mentioned person. He
modified it extensively and used for a couple of years. We kept on
good relationship and I gifted him some capacitors for the welder.

Eventually, the welder died and I picked up the scrap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

My son knew of a pile of press brake dies at his work. They are
cleaning up this week, so he brought the 3/4 ton pickup. He got a
scrap tag for 265 lb. steel ($.25 a lb.), thinking to get a few. His
boss told him to clean it up. "The Kid" said he was afraid to put more
in the truck when he was done, too much weight. He was sure to get
every form they had. Anyway, I got more press brake dies than I know
what to do with.

Should go well with the new shop press.

Karl

You raised your son right!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20994 wrote:

Kind of related... Someone gifted me remnants of an old welder
yesterday. The windings yielded 60 lbs of clean copper, plus about 400
lbs of steel, plus he gave me a frame for a go cart. I will actually
make a go cart.

There is a story behind the welder. I bought it 2 years ago for $0.99
on ebay and sold for $100 or so to the above mentioned person. He
modified it extensively and used for a couple of years. We kept on
good relationship and I gifted him some capacitors for the welder.

Eventually, the welder died and I picked up the scrap.

Iggy,

You never cease to amaze me. So what do you think the welder will scrap out at?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20994 wrote:

Kind of related... Someone gifted me remnants of an old welder
yesterday. The windings yielded 60 lbs of clean copper, plus about 400
lbs of steel, plus he gave me a frame for a go cart. I will actually
make a go cart.

There is a story behind the welder. I bought it 2 years ago for $0.99
on ebay and sold for $100 or so to the above mentioned person. He
modified it extensively and used for a couple of years. We kept on
good relationship and I gifted him some capacitors for the welder.

Eventually, the welder died and I picked up the scrap.

Iggy,

You never cease to amaze me. So what do you think the welder will scrap out at?

Wes

copper, 150, iron that I received, maybe 45.

Karl's kid did much better, though, as he got something useful.