Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Not What They Were Made For

A couple years ago I bought a 2 pack of DeWalt 10" 80 tooth blades. I've
worn them both out cutting aluminum, but I can't complain. They did a
really good job and made a lot of cuts over the last couple years. I still
have one in my table saw, but its at that point where I know its going to
turn dangerous on any cut now.

I've tried a couple other blades, but I kept going back to these until they
just broke too many teeth to use. The one on the saw now is still cutting
ok, and its only lost one tooth, but its got a couple teeth that will chip
weld pretty quick now. That's when the blade gets dangerous and will grab a
piece of metal instead of cutting it.

Anyway, last time I looked those blade packs weren't available in the local
stores anymore. What other surprise quality blades might be out there to
look for?

Somebody gave me some HF blades and they were a joke. Stripped half the
teeth on the first cut, and chipped most of the rest. Some of the stripped
teeth came out clean, and some took part of the blade with them. Never saw
a blade come apart so fast and so thoroughly before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have a look at Lennox metal cutting blades. They have been available in
Lowes in a 7-1/4" size for metal roofers and so on. They are not cheap but
do a good job. If you need me to get a number for you let me know. I think
they are available in various teeth and sizes online, but Lowes will only
stock their common blade. About $50 IIRC. I put 22 squares (square= 100 sq.
ft.) of decra stone coated shingles on my house and bought two blades and
made it through with the original 1st blade, but like you say the blade was
getting a little testy towards the end. There were two cuts per row of
shingles and two valleys and a chimney to deal with. Was running blade on a
variable speed shopsmith and had the rpm down to perhaps 2500-3000 rpm.
Blade states it will handle standard circular saw speed. I figured it would
cut that stone better at a slow speed, YMMV.
Good luck with it
Lyndell

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Regrets, that you can't find the blades which work. I've also bought HF
"Sawzall" recip blades, and find them worse than useless.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob La Londe"
wrote in message ...

Somebody gave me some HF blades and they were a joke. Stripped half the
teeth on the first cut, and chipped most of the rest. Some of the stripped
teeth came out clean, and some took part of the blade with them. Never saw
a blade come apart so fast and so thoroughly before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is the webpage link. My mistake earlier........lenox has only one n.
:-) Watch the word wrap.
Lyndell

http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/Prod...larSawBlad es

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/9/2012 6:51 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
A couple years ago I bought a 2 pack of DeWalt 10" 80 tooth blades. I've
worn them both out cutting aluminum, but I can't complain. ...

Anyway, last time I looked those blade packs weren't available in the
local stores anymore. What other surprise quality blades might be out
there to look for?

That's surprising; DeWalt is generally the one thing the local hardware
and lumber yards can be counted on to have. I just bought a couple
replacements a couple of weeks ago; afaict they're pretty much same as
always if you want to just go internet mail order for something you're
comfortable with.

No idea what somebody else may have local; we don't have the box stores
so I can't go on what they have in stock 'cuz I don't know.

For medium price range, generally can't go too far south w/ Freud;
higher dollar is Amana, Tenryu, Oshlun, Forrest, probably roughly in
that order. I'd not abuse a Forrest that way, for example.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/9/2012 7:52 PM, dpb wrote:

No idea what somebody else may have local; we don't have the box stores
so I can't go on what they have in stock 'cuz I don't know.

I'd suggest if use these this way a lot go ahead and buy a for-purpose
Al cutting blade for the type of material and stock you typically use...

Not much different in price ranges from the wood blades...you can go
from pretty cheap to pretty pricey.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

[...]

A little OT, but...

A while back I solicited the group for suggestions on quality hacksaw
blades. Lenox was by far the leader.

And rightfully so, they FAR surpassed my wildest expectations!

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
Somebody gave me some HF blades and they were a joke. ...

The biggest problem with HF blades is the uncertainty. Some are good
and some are crap. A while back they were selling 10" 50 tooth blades
for $8 & I bought one. It was good enough that I bought a couple more.
I'm still using the 1st one on my table saw & another one in the chop
saw. Wood only, but there is an older HF blade that I've using for AL &
it's not lost any teeth.

Not the quality of a $100 Forest (?) or Freud, but plenty good for my
every day work.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/10/2012 6:37 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Not the quality of a $100 Forest (?)...

Yeah, as you guessed, this forest has two ar's in it...

As I noted, I'd never think of abusing one of them in such fashion altho
I've no doubt they'd cut the mustard, so to speak.

AFAIK...well, let's look at online catalog....yep, Forrest makes only
wood/laminate/plastic cutting blades (designed for, anyway).

Going to one of the non-ferrous blades would probably be OP's best
choice I still think as mentioned in previous follow-up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 May 2012 08:10:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/10/2012 6:37 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Not the quality of a $100 Forest (?)...

Yeah, as you guessed, this forest has two ar's in it...

As I noted, I'd never think of abusing one of them in such fashion altho
I've no doubt they'd cut the mustard, so to speak.

AFAIK...well, let's look at online catalog....yep, Forrest makes only
wood/laminate/plastic cutting blades (designed for, anyway).

Going to one of the non-ferrous blades would probably be OP's best
choice I still think as mentioned in previous follow-up.

I've had one of these Freud non-ferrous blades for many years and cut
lots of extrusions on a chop saw, and plate up to 1" on a table saw.
One caveat is that the triple chip grind tends to push the work
around, so for accurate cuts it's best to clamp the stock. I usually
use a sled on the table saw for cutting plate. A little stick wax on
the blade prevents gumming and yields a bright finish.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16434

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
On May 9, 5:51 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

Well, the DeWalt site lists a DW3217 non-ferrous metal-cutting blade,
10" 80 tooth. "Not available online", probably means you have to find
a stocking dealer.

That would explain why they worked so well. Must have been a closeout or
something then at the box, but I don't remember them being listed as a metal
cutting blade. I have done a lot of cutting with them.

No other 80 tooth blades until you get to 12". Be
careful here, a lot of manufacturers that formerly had tools made in
the US are now getting them all from chinkland. Could NOT find a
drill bit on the peg in any local store that wasn't Chinese. Even the
Vermin American ones are now, found a few oddball old stock in the
closeout bins, though. Read the small print!

Stan