Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Not What They Were Made For

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

Have a look at Lennox metal cutting blades. They have been available in
Lowes in a 7-1/4" size for metal roofers and so on. They are not cheap but
do a good job. If you need me to get a number for you let me know. I think
they are available in various teeth and sizes online, but Lowes will only
stock their common blade. About $50 IIRC. I put 22 squares (square= 100 sq.
ft.) of decra stone coated shingles on my house and bought two blades and
made it through with the original 1st blade, but like you say the blade was
getting a little testy towards the end. There were two cuts per row of
shingles and two valleys and a chimney to deal with. Was running blade on a
variable speed shopsmith and had the rpm down to perhaps 2500-3000 rpm.
Blade states it will handle standard circular saw speed. I figured it would
cut that stone better at a slow speed, YMMV.
Good luck with it
Lyndell

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
A couple years ago I bought a 2 pack of DeWalt 10" 80 tooth blades. I've
worn them both out cutting aluminum, but I can't complain. They did a
really good job and made a lot of cuts over the last couple years. I still
have one in my table saw, but its at that point where I know its going to
turn dangerous on any cut now.

I've tried a couple other blades, but I kept going back to these until
they just broke too many teeth to use. The one on the saw now is still
cutting ok, and its only lost one tooth, but its got a couple teeth that
will chip weld pretty quick now. That's when the blade gets dangerous and
will grab a piece of metal instead of cutting it.

Anyway, last time I looked those blade packs weren't available in the
local stores anymore. What other surprise quality blades might be out
there to look for?

Somebody gave me some HF blades and they were a joke. Stripped half the
teeth on the first cut, and chipped most of the rest. Some of the
stripped teeth came out clean, and some took part of the blade with them.
Never saw a blade come apart so fast and so thoroughly before.

A little OT, but...

A while back I solicited the group for suggestions on quality hacksaw
blades. Lenox was by far the leader.

And rightfully so, they FAR surpassed my wildest expectations!

Erik