Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Maybe I am Just Using it More...

I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. How the heck could that be? Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. How the heck could that be? Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

I live in a very arid area. My stand up Husky, about a 5 hp, 33 gal. gets
LOTS of condensation in there. The first time I bled it, about two cups
came out. Now when I drain it, I have to put a BIG towel under there, or
water goes all over the place.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 11:51*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in .. .

I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. *I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. *No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. *How the heck could that be? *Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

I live in a very arid area. *My stand up Husky, about a 5 hp, 33 gal. gets
LOTS of condensation in there. *The first time I bled it, about two cups
came out. *Now when I drain it, I have to put a BIG towel under there, or
water goes all over the place.

Steve

A lot of guys will put a ball valve and an elbowed piece of pipe to
the outside on a stationary installation. Beats crawling around
trying to open an old-style petcock. The valve doesn't HAVE to be
immediately under the tank.

As far as the O.P.'s question, does the new compressor have a larger
cylinder and/or run slower than the old one? Might be the air doesn't
get heated as hot during compression so it doesn't take as long for
the water to condense out.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stanley Schaefer wrote:

(...)

A lot of guys will put a ball valve and an elbowed piece of pipe to
the outside on a stationary installation. Beats crawling around
trying to open an old-style petcock. The valve doesn't HAVE to be
immediately under the tank.

I installed a street ell on the bottom of
the tank and permanently attached it to a length
of air hose terminated in a blow gun.

Aim the nozzle outside and push the button.
When water mist stops, release button.

Simple and very cheap.

--Winston-- Cheap and Very Simple
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. How the heck could that be? Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

I live in a very arid area. My stand up Husky, about a 5 hp, 33 gal. gets
LOTS of condensation in there.

Those HD Husky's are pretty good compressors, surprisingly quiet.
I recommend wiring the motor for 220, and wiring the coil of a relay to the
pressure switch, let the relay contacts deal with the surge current. Will
save the pressure switch, which is proly none to robust.

Re-plumbing the drain is a good idea. Helps to have the unit sit on some
2x4s, for a little room down there. A small ball valve off 1/4" water
dispenser-type tubing is good, air hose is good too.
--
EA