DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Maybe I am Just Using it More... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/339965-maybe-i-am-just-using-more.html)

Bob La Londe[_2_] May 7th 12 06:28 PM

Maybe I am Just Using it More...

I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. How the heck could that be? Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

Steve B[_13_] May 7th 12 06:51 PM

Maybe I am Just Using it More...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. How the heck could that be? Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

I live in a very arid area. My stand up Husky, about a 5 hp, 33 gal. gets
LOTS of condensation in there. The first time I bled it, about two cups
came out. Now when I drain it, I have to put a BIG towel under there, or
water goes all over the place.

Steve

Stanley Schaefer May 7th 12 10:16 PM

Maybe I am Just Using it More...

On May 7, 11:51*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in .. .

I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. *I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. *No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. *How the heck could that be? *Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

I live in a very arid area. *My stand up Husky, about a 5 hp, 33 gal. gets
LOTS of condensation in there. *The first time I bled it, about two cups
came out. *Now when I drain it, I have to put a BIG towel under there, or
water goes all over the place.

Steve

A lot of guys will put a ball valve and an elbowed piece of pipe to
the outside on a stationary installation. Beats crawling around
trying to open an old-style petcock. The valve doesn't HAVE to be
immediately under the tank.

As far as the O.P.'s question, does the new compressor have a larger
cylinder and/or run slower than the old one? Might be the air doesn't
get heated as hot during compression so it doesn't take as long for
the water to condense out.

Stan

Winston May 7th 12 11:44 PM

Maybe I am Just Using it More...

Stanley Schaefer wrote:

(...)

A lot of guys will put a ball valve and an elbowed piece of pipe to
the outside on a stationary installation. Beats crawling around
trying to open an old-style petcock. The valve doesn't HAVE to be
immediately under the tank.

I installed a street ell on the bottom of
the tank and permanently attached it to a length
of air hose terminated in a blow gun.

Aim the nozzle outside and push the button.
When water mist stops, release button.

Simple and very cheap.

--Winston-- Cheap and Very Simple

Existential Angst[_2_] May 8th 12 10:19 AM

Maybe I am Just Using it More...

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I went ahead and swapped pumps on that small compressor. I like it.
Doesn't seem to work as hard, yet seems to fill the tank faster. No clue
how that works.

Anyway, I have noticed it seems to condense a lot more water than the old
pump. How the heck could that be? Humidity is 19% right now which is a
little higher than normal, but still...

I live in a very arid area. My stand up Husky, about a 5 hp, 33 gal. gets
LOTS of condensation in there.

Those HD Husky's are pretty good compressors, surprisingly quiet.
I recommend wiring the motor for 220, and wiring the coil of a relay to the
pressure switch, let the relay contacts deal with the surge current. Will
save the pressure switch, which is proly none to robust.

Re-plumbing the drain is a good idea. Helps to have the unit sit on some
2x4s, for a little room down there. A small ball valve off 1/4" water
dispenser-type tubing is good, air hose is good too.
--
EA