Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Double flare tubing tips

A friend helped with some brake work, and used a double flare tool. Neat.
Anyhow, I can see that as being a skill I can use.

Went to HF, and bought a double flare tool. came home, and tried five or six
times, and can't quite get it right.

Anyone else done double flare? Any ideas, or things I should know?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 3, 12:14*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
A friend helped with some brake work, and used a double flare tool. Neat.
Anyhow, I can see that as being a skill I can use.

Went to HF, and bought a double flare tool. came home, and tried five or six
times, and can't quite get it right.

Anyone else done double flare? Any ideas, or things I should know?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I have done quite a bit.

What does it end up looking like?

Three things right off are to make sure you are using the right side
of the clamp barn (the side with the countersink), that the clamp bar
is clamping well enough that the tubing does not slip through the
clamp, and lastly that the proper amount of tubing is sticking out of
the clamp before you start.

If it didn't come with directions, on most sets the amount of tubing
to leave sticking up is the same as the thickness of the proper die.
The die then goes on the tubing end with the pin in the tube, then you
tighten the clamp down until the die hits the clamp bar. Then you pull
the die and just run down the clamp right tight.

The first step should leave you with the 'bubble' on the left piece
he

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...0/9780ac21.jpg

It doesn't have to look really great when you are done, quite a bit of
'reforming' happens when you tighten the flare nut. In fact, I have
done 'bubble' flares in a pinch a few times by doing the first step
and then just installing the thing.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A friend helped with some brake work, and used a double flare tool. Neat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
A friend helped with some brake work, and used a double flare tool. Neat.
Anyhow, I can see that as being a skill I can use.

Went to HF, and bought a double flare tool. came home, and tried five or
six
times, and can't quite get it right.

Anyone else done double flare? Any ideas, or things I should know?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

It's important that you start with the correct amount of tubing
"sticking out" of the clamp bar (I think the HF tool uses the shoulder of
the adaptor as the height gage) and that you use the correct adaptor so the
internal mandrel size is correct.
The first shot is using the button adaptor (with the internal mandrel)
to form the "bulge"... then you remove the adaptor and force the cone-shaped
tool in to form the tapered "seat".
It's really too simple to do it wrong, if you have the right tooling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon"
wrote in
message
A friend helped with some brake work, and used a
double flare tool. Neat.
Anyhow, I can see that as being a skill I can
use.

Went to HF, and bought a double flare tool. came
home, and tried five or six
times, and can't quite get it right.

Anyone else done double flare? Any ideas, or
things I should know?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

After the tube is cut with a tubing cutter the
first thing you
have to do is square off the end of it making sure
there
is no inside burr. It also wouldn't hurt to very
slightly
chamfer the I.D. and O.D.
Phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Anyone else done double flare? Any ideas, or things I should know?

yeah... don't use a straight-compression style tool. Get one with an
eccentric cone that moves in thrust/ball bearings to slowly move the metal
evenly.

Rigid makes some.

A really _good_ double-flare tool will cost you a few hundred dollars.

Lloyd

Flare fittings Randy333 Metalworking 11 June 10th 11 12:40 AM
Solar flare. ian field[_2_] Electronic Schematics 12 September 22nd 10 05:46 AM
Making a double flare on brake lines [email protected] Metalworking 12 August 8th 10 03:21 AM
Replacing double glazed units: any tips? John L UK diy 0 March 30th 10 09:46 PM
Met my Match - (Double Flare Disaster) Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 45 January 21st 06 12:50 AM