Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spray painting ?

Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:04:11 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

How many CFM at 30PSI??? It is the volume that is generally the
killer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

How many CFM at 30PSI??? It is the volume that is generally the
killer.

Don't know the CFM, this pump was originaly used to power a
texture spray gun. Its driven by 1.5hp 3450rpm motor.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

30 psi MIGHT work on an HVLP gun but you need to know the CFM rating.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-24, azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun?

What *kind* of spray paint gun? One of the little airbrush guns
would work well with that. However, a big one of the size used for auto
painting would probably consume too much air. Also -- is the pressure
enough for the gun?

And what kind of Gast pump for that matter. What I've used are
rotary graphite vane pumps, and everything below applies to that.
However, I've seen other types of pumps made by Gast on eBay, so if you
have something else, that may not be a problem..

Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Note that the Gast pumps need some airflow all the time. I've
seen one burn out because the airflow was blocked. And trying to pump a
tank up to 30 PSI would probably be a problem too.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

30 psi MIGHT work on an HVLP gun but you need to know the CFM rating.

--
Steve W.

HVLP is what i intend to use.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2012-04-24, azotic wrote:
[...]

Yes it is a rotoray vane pump, i was thinking of using a HVLP spray gun.
Its a fairly large pump driven by a 1.5hp motor.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:42:40 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

How many CFM at 30PSI??? It is the volume that is generally the
killer.

Don't know the CFM, this pump was originaly used to power a
texture spray gun. Its driven by 1.5hp 3450rpm motor.

Best Regards
Tom.

Then it will likely work with an accumulator (small tank)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

30 psi MIGHT work on an HVLP gun but you need to know the CFM rating.

--
Steve W.

HVLP is what i intend to use.

Best Regards
Tom.

See what the CFM is. The pressue would work with the two guns I have but
they both want HIGH flow rates.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:42:40 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

How many CFM at 30PSI??? It is the volume that is generally the
killer.

Don't know the CFM, this pump was originaly used to power a
texture spray gun. Its driven by 1.5hp 3450rpm motor.

Give it a try. If it fails to live up to your expectations, add an air
tank (air pig, propane bottle, etc.) until it can keep up with
whatever you require of it.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/23/2012 11:15 PM, Steve W. wrote:
azotic wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.
30 psi MIGHT work on an HVLP gun but you need to know the CFM rating.

--
Steve W.

HVLP is what i intend to use.

Best Regards
Tom.

See what the CFM is. The pressue would work with the two guns I have but
they both want HIGH flow rates.

HVLP

High Volume Low Pressure
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/23/2012 5:04 PM, azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.

probably not a full sized gun - please post the rest of your
requirements before re-asking the question - what is the flow required
by the gun, at what pressure. Please also understand that GAST has a
web site on which they identify the characteristics of all of their
pumps - you will find much more accurate information at that location.
Please note that rotary vane pumps are unlikely to supply more than 30
psi, and that the oilless pumps add carbon to the exhaust air while the
oil type add oil to the exhaust air. You will need to determine if your
painting requirements can tolerate either oil or carbon added to the finish.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 6:04*pm, "azotic" wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.
--http://fija.org/

Pressure isn't the problem, as everyone else has said, it's the volume
that the problem. And how big a gun do you want to run? My 120v roll-
around compressor will run a touch-up gun with no problems, the HF
"HVLP" gravity cheapie works, but the compressor is running
constantly. Doing a whole car is out of the question, but selected
pieces done as onesies, like hoods and fenders, are possible. Most
small paint guns require at least 4 cfm at 90 psi on the compressor
side, pressure is adjusted downwards at the gun to work with the paint
mix at hand. One of the bigger ones can take 12-15 cfm. If all you
want to run is an airbrush, most anything will work. Figure on an oil
trap plus moisture filters at both ends of the hose.

A true HVLP gun uses a turbine compressor similar to a vacuum
cleaner, I've played with them, they're totally different animals to
the "conversion" guns that hook up to a high-pressure air hose.

Unless you've got access to a whole lot of compressor parts cheap, it
might be simpler, cheaper and certainly easier to look for a used rig
in the pawnshops and used lists. Pressure switches, safety valves,
tanks and drain cocks all add up.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/24/2012 1:36 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Apr 23, 6:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

Stan, that's actually a really good reply.

HVLP doesn't need to be tied to a compressor.
In fact, a compressor is exactly the wrong thing for that kind of work.

I've had very good results from a cheap "vacuum cleaner" HVLP that
never cost more than $99 (regardless of what the ad says).

http://www.harborfreight.com/general...kit-44677.html

It's not a "compressor" - but a "turbine". (and it sounds like one)

The HIGH VOLUME part of HVLP means "blow a whole lotta air".

And he LP part means it's not heard to do.

But if you are looking for a "gun" to hook to a "compressor",
you better have one heck of a lot of compressor!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-24, azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun?

What *kind* of spray paint gun? One of the little airbrush guns

[ ... ]

And what kind of Gast pump for that matter. What I've used are

[ ... ]

Note that the Gast pumps need some airflow all the time. I've
seen one burn out because the airflow was blocked. And trying to pump a
tank up to 30 PSI would probably be a problem too.

Yes it is a rotoray vane pump, i was thinking of using a HVLP spray gun.
Its a fairly large pump driven by a 1.5hp motor.

Proably not the best choice for that kind of gun. The "HV" of
"HVLP" stands for "High Volume", and the Gast pumps are not what I would
consider high volume by any means. You mentioned the pressure, and the
horsepower, but not the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) -- compare that to
the requirements for the HVLP gun you have or are considering.

And *don't* let the pump keep running while there is no airflow.
You *will* eventually burn out at least the motor, if not the vanes.
The ones at work which were used as mild vacuum sources (thus were
blocked most of the time) had a bleeder adjustment to keep some air
flowing through it even when the object being driven (e.g. a vacuum
chuck on a photoresist spinner) was sitting there preventing airflow.
Every so often, we had to swap out the pump and clean and rebuild the
head on the one which was starting to overheat.

Good Luck,
DoN.