Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Beal Howard Beal is offline

Default Spray painting ?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2012-04-24, azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun?

What *kind* of spray paint gun? One of the little airbrush guns
would work well with that. However, a big one of the size used for auto
painting would probably consume too much air. Also -- is the pressure
enough for the gun?

And what kind of Gast pump for that matter. What I've used are
rotary graphite vane pumps, and everything below applies to that.
However, I've seen other types of pumps made by Gast on eBay, so if you
have something else, that may not be a problem..

Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Note that the Gast pumps need some airflow all the time. I've
seen one burn out because the airflow was blocked. And trying to pump a
tank up to 30 PSI would probably be a problem too.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Yes it is a rotoray vane pump, i was thinking of using a HVLP spray gun.
Its a fairly large pump driven by a 1.5hp motor.

Best Regards
Tom.