Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spray painting ?

On 2012-04-24, Howard Beal wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2012-04-24, azotic wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun?

What *kind* of spray paint gun? One of the little airbrush guns

[ ... ]

And what kind of Gast pump for that matter. What I've used are

[ ... ]

Note that the Gast pumps need some airflow all the time. I've
seen one burn out because the airflow was blocked. And trying to pump a
tank up to 30 PSI would probably be a problem too.

Yes it is a rotoray vane pump, i was thinking of using a HVLP spray gun.
Its a fairly large pump driven by a 1.5hp motor.

Proably not the best choice for that kind of gun. The "HV" of
"HVLP" stands for "High Volume", and the Gast pumps are not what I would
consider high volume by any means. You mentioned the pressure, and the
horsepower, but not the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) -- compare that to
the requirements for the HVLP gun you have or are considering.

And *don't* let the pump keep running while there is no airflow.
You *will* eventually burn out at least the motor, if not the vanes.
The ones at work which were used as mild vacuum sources (thus were
blocked most of the time) had a bleeder adjustment to keep some air
flowing through it even when the object being driven (e.g. a vacuum
chuck on a photoresist spinner) was sitting there preventing airflow.
Every so often, we had to swap out the pump and clean and rebuild the
head on the one which was starting to overheat.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564