Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Spray painting ?

On 4/24/2012 1:36 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Apr 23, 6:04 pm, wrote:
Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply
to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a
air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming
from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with
no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.
--http://fija.org/

Pressure isn't the problem, as everyone else has said, it's the volume
that the problem. And how big a gun do you want to run? My 120v roll-
around compressor will run a touch-up gun with no problems, the HF
"HVLP" gravity cheapie works, but the compressor is running
constantly. Doing a whole car is out of the question, but selected
pieces done as onesies, like hoods and fenders, are possible. Most
small paint guns require at least 4 cfm at 90 psi on the compressor
side, pressure is adjusted downwards at the gun to work with the paint
mix at hand. One of the bigger ones can take 12-15 cfm. If all you
want to run is an airbrush, most anything will work. Figure on an oil
trap plus moisture filters at both ends of the hose.

A true HVLP gun uses a turbine compressor similar to a vacuum
cleaner, I've played with them, they're totally different animals to
the "conversion" guns that hook up to a high-pressure air hose.

Unless you've got access to a whole lot of compressor parts cheap, it
might be simpler, cheaper and certainly easier to look for a used rig
in the pawnshops and used lists. Pressure switches, safety valves,
tanks and drain cocks all add up.

Stan

Stan, that's actually a really good reply.

HVLP doesn't need to be tied to a compressor.
In fact, a compressor is exactly the wrong thing for that kind of work.

I've had very good results from a cheap "vacuum cleaner" HVLP that
never cost more than $99 (regardless of what the ad says).

http://www.harborfreight.com/general...kit-44677.html

It's not a "compressor" - but a "turbine". (and it sounds like one)

The HIGH VOLUME part of HVLP means "blow a whole lotta air".

And he LP part means it's not heard to do.

But if you are looking for a "gun" to hook to a "compressor",
you better have one heck of a lot of compressor!