Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some metal content, but mostly about search frustrations

I am often frustrated when searching Google for old
rec.craft.metalworking postings. Just as an example I was trying to
find some many year old postings by I think John Stevenson. They were
about scraping de havilland Mosquitoes and removing the engines by
undoing the upper motor mount bolts and dropping the engine unto the
main landing gear tire.
I used various combinations of "rec.crafts.metalworking", "John
Stevenson", "Stevenson-Engineers", "Earl of Suds pump", "De Havilland
", Mosquito, "Rolls Royce","under carriage",scrap, breakers, salvage,
surplus, fighter, bomber.
I am reasonably sure I read this account on rec.crafts.metalworking.
This story is of no great importance, it's just an example of
something I was interested in and couldn't find. It happens often.
Another ancient story told in a series of posts was about a free
spirit co worker in the metalworking area in the south west. He lived
in a RV in the employers parking lot, a series of adventures were
recounted and then he bought some remote desert property and lived
there.
Maybe Google simply doesn't go that far back.
Thanks for listening
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 11:17:33 -0700 (PDT), reissmachinist
wrote:

[...]

I found one in 1999. Go to Google Groups and enter this code
de havilland mosquito group:rec.crafts.metalworking
and you should find it. I used the Advanced search link to get there.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 11:17:33 -0700, reissmachinist wrote:

I am often frustrated when searching Google for old
rec.craft.metalworking postings. Just as an example I was trying to find

[snip re De Havilland Mosquito]

Another ancient story told in a series of posts was about a free
spirit co worker in the metalworking area in the south west. He lived in
a RV in the employers parking lot, a series of adventures were recounted
and then he bought some remote desert property and lived there.

Rich Grise is a person who lived or lives in an RV in the parking lot of
a metal shop (http://www.abiengr.com/, Whittier, PRECISION MACHINING ·
WELDING · FABRICATION · DESIGN ENGINEERING). Eg last paragraph of first post
at http://www.electronicspoint.com/220v-3-phase-60-hp-many-amps-t102937.html.
I don't have any recent info.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:

Rich Grise is a person who lived or lives in an RV in the parking lot of
a metal shop (http://www.abiengr.com/, Whittier, PRECISION MACHINING ·
WELDING · FABRICATION · DESIGN ENGINEERING). Eg last paragraph of first post
at http://www.electronicspoint.com/220v-3-phase-60-hp-many-amps-t102937.html.
I don't have any recent info.

He's still online, pushing his fantasy president.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

FWIW, John Stevenson is active in some other online forums (at least one in
the UK), and his projects (for those unfamiliar) are always interesting.

As Larry recommends, using the Goog Advanced Search function/feature will
often produce more pertinent results.

A factor that would make searches easier would be to use useful descriptions
in the Subject line.. instead of pointless titles such as "Oh Well".. but
just not something that some more creative-flamboyant types will accept.

The RV dweller person referred to rarely had anything to say regarding
metalworking.

One of my favorite real-life sagas in RCM was the day-to-day reporting of a
rat under a guy's house by Gary H, IIRC, and the somewhat extreme measures
taken.

--
WB