Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Charcoal rack

I need to make a charcoal rack for a big burner. The thing will be about 2
x 3 feet. A couple have been made before, and they deform hideously. What
would be good materials to make them from? I got some HEAVY expanded metal,
but want to build a dirt screen out of that. I have some light stuff, but I
know that will deform. And I have several modern bed rail frames (angle)
that might work if I put enough struts in the thing.

What would you use? This is just for cooking burgers and franks, about four
hours at a time, don't need nothing costly or fancy, just get tired of this
POS we got.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I need to make a charcoal rack for a big burner. The thing will be about 2
x 3 feet. A couple have been made before, and they deform hideously. What
would be good materials to make them from? I got some HEAVY expanded metal,
but want to build a dirt screen out of that. I have some light stuff, but I
know that will deform. And I have several modern bed rail frames (angle)
that might work if I put enough struts in the thing.

What would you use? This is just for cooking burgers and franks, about four
hours at a time, don't need nothing costly or fancy, just get tired of this
POS we got.

Steve

If you're talking the rack that the coals set on the best one I have was
made out of re-bar with an angle frame around it and 4 cross braces

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to make a charcoal rack for a big burner. The thing will be about 2
x 3 feet. A couple have been made before, and they deform hideously. What
would be good materials to make them from? I got some HEAVY expanded
metal, but want to build a dirt screen out of that. I have some light
stuff, but I know that will deform. And I have several modern bed rail
frames (angle) that might work if I put enough struts in the thing.

What would you use? This is just for cooking burgers and franks, about
four hours at a time, don't need nothing costly or fancy, just get tired
of this POS we got.

Steve

Welded steel deck grating.
http://www.ohiogratings.com/steelgrating_lt_welded.html

I have a piece I throw in the back of the truck for when I go camping.
I got it at a scrap yard. The piece I have was zinc plated so I burned it
off by getting it red hot in an open fire in the yard.
So far it has lasted about 20 years of light usage.
Scrounge the stuff at a scrapper and replace as needed.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I need to make a charcoal rack for a big burner. The thing will be about
2 x 3 feet. A couple have been made before, and they deform hideously.
What would be good materials to make them from? I got some HEAVY
expanded metal, but want to build a dirt screen out of that. I have some
light stuff, but I know that will deform. And I have several modern bed
rail frames (angle) that might work if I put enough struts in the thing.

What would you use? This is just for cooking burgers and franks, about
four hours at a time, don't need nothing costly or fancy, just get tired
of this POS we got.

Steve

If you're talking the rack that the coals set on the best one I have was
made out of re-bar with an angle frame around it and 4 cross braces

--
Steve W.

Dang. What a coincidence. I have lots of both. And on this one, I'm
putting some standoffs in the center so it doesn't sag.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote

Welded steel deck grating.
http://www.ohiogratings.com/steelgrating_lt_welded.html

Deck grating! I forgot about that. Man, they had lots of that offshore. I
recently tried to find some for my cabin to replace the wood steps. I
finally did find some, but the guy was a hoarder. Huge yard with nothing
that he would "sell". Maybe I can get a piece or three from him if I get
lucky. I damn sure would love to get enough for the deck at the cabin. So
elegantly simple, and the snow goes right through it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 14:45:41 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote

Welded steel deck grating.
http://www.ohiogratings.com/steelgrating_lt_welded.html

Deck grating! I forgot about that. Man, they had lots of that offshore.
recently tried to find some for my cabin to replace the wood steps. I
finally did find some, but the guy was a hoarder. Huge yard with nothing
that he would "sell". Maybe I can get a piece or three from him if I get
lucky. I damn sure would love to get enough for the deck at the cabin.
So
elegantly simple, and the snow goes right through it.

Steve

Unicorn Metals in Brea California has several hundred tons of it if you
want any.

Gunner

Goddamit, another reason to visit you. If I could just get some cash. One
of my rentals just had an AC die. $5k for a new one...............

It's always something.

Steve

charcoal, urgent Dave UK diy 22 November 1st 09 12:11 AM
mount towel rack/magazine rack to ceramic tile mikeasmel Home Repair 3 March 9th 07 02:15 PM
Gun Rack/Cabinet Plan .... Just the rack part... bremen68 Woodworking 4 February 13th 07 02:02 AM
Gas OR Charcoal Grill Iowa883 Home Repair 14 April 5th 05 10:43 PM
Cooker hoods and charcoal filters Lobster UK diy 5 January 24th 05 08:06 PM