Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop heating

I know I'm a little late ........ for this year, but .........

I really have a good supply of juniper wood. Burns really hot. I want to
set up a heat stove or two in my shop for next winter. How many here use
wood heat for shop use?

I got out the Coleman Buddy stove the other day, and fired it up. Really
warmed the place up, but I started feeling weird. I don't have a digital CO
monitor, so don't know how much CO it was giving off. I still really don't
want to spend a lot of $$$ on propane when I have free wood.

I would like to make a system that pulls outside air for combustion, and
just heats the room without using room air to run the stove.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would like to make a system that pulls outside air for combustion, and
just heats the room without using room air to run the stove.

Steve

I've heated with wood for 58 years now. I think a good heat exchanger
is more important than outside air source for a shop, you need a few
air exchanges anyway. That said, my house heat system uses outside
air.

You can buy a wood stove cheaper than you can make one. But I made
mine with a very simple efficient design. It uses two barrels, lower
chamber is fire box, upper for heat exchanger. My "barrels" were
actually 24" diameter steel pipe. Then a large sheet metal plenum
around the whole thing and a furnace fan.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend on Thu, 22 Mar 2012
12:00:03 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I would like to make a system that pulls outside air for combustion, and
just heats the room without using room air to run the stove.

Steve

I've heated with wood for 58 years now. I think a good heat exchanger
is more important than outside air source for a shop, you need a few
air exchanges anyway. That said, my house heat system uses outside
air.

You can buy a wood stove cheaper than you can make one. But I made
mine with a very simple efficient design. It uses two barrels, lower
chamber is fire box, upper for heat exchanger. My "barrels" were
actually 24" diameter steel pipe. Then a large sheet metal plenum
around the whole thing and a furnace fan.

If you can. surround the firebox etc with "thermal mass" - bricks,
stones, etc - that way, you caput re radiant heat into the thermal
mass, and even out the heating and cooling cycles. "Russian Stoves"
is one google search - although I first ran into the idea in Bavaria.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:20:08 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Depends on your goal. For my shop I want A LOT of heat quick. So this
isn't a good idea. In winter i only heat when I'm working in there,
maybe 40 days total and only 6 hours at a time.

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I know I'm a little late ........ for this year, but .........

I really have a good supply of juniper wood. Burns really hot. I
want to set up a heat stove or two in my shop for next winter. How
many here use wood heat for shop use?

I got out the Coleman Buddy stove the other day, and fired it up.
Really warmed the place up, but I started feeling weird. I don't
have a digital CO monitor, so don't know how much CO it was giving
off. I still really don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on propane
when I have free wood.

I would like to make a system that pulls outside air for combustion,
and just heats the room without using room air to run the stove.

Steve

My stove is in the basement and pulls in air through existing gaps
under doors etc. The cold air runs across the floor to the stove. I
wear boots and don't notice it. Very simple and effective.

I sealed the upper doors and windows so the warmed air can't escape,
like a hot air balloon that's open at the bottom. It doesn't matter
that air can leak into the basement. There is still some air exchange,
cooking smells go away in a few hours.

The indoor and outdoor humidity and dew point give a rough indication
of air exchanges. I tightened the house until winter humidity rose
from less than 20% to nearer 50%.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:58:05 -0700 typed
I know I'm a little late ........ for this year, but .........

I really have a good supply of juniper wood. Burns really hot. I want to
set up a heat stove or two in my shop for next winter. How many here use
wood heat for shop use?

I got out the Coleman Buddy stove the other day, and fired it up. Really
warmed the place up, but I started feeling weird. I don't have a digital CO
monitor, so don't know how much CO it was giving off. I still really don't
want to spend a lot of $$$ on propane when I have free wood.

Get the CO monitor anyway.

I would like to make a system that pulls outside air for combustion, and
just heats the room without using room air to run the stove.

Look into "Thermal Mass" stoves. Basically, your firebox heats
rocks (or bricks), the air traveling over/through the bricks heats
you. "The Sunstone Superstove" is a good book on DIY, and a step by
step means of making one. It is A Project.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

great idea if you want constant temp 24 X 7. I have a high efficeincy
wood stove with glass doors that uses an outside air source. Its then
surrounded with several tons of stone and concrete with dead air space
between. My friends and neighbors call it a fireplace, they just see
the outside. Its been the sole source of my home's heat for 20 years
now.

Karl