Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default chromium nitrate

I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:08:37 AM UTC-6, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

You can buy the new solutions from gunsmith supply places. Works good. The original Parker method used manganese dioxide and zinc oxide I think. It was good for one time where then new stuff is reusable. I used to park guns and then apply a moly coating 15 years ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 07:08:37 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

BRAIN FART. I'm after nickle nitrate. I learned it can be made by
putting nickle powder in nitric acid. So this isn't quite as weird,
I'm now looking for nitric acid. I found this offer
http://www.bcscientific.com/Merchant...85000ACSCSL T

It also has a hazmat charge. Any chemical types know a cheaper source?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

BRAIN FART. I'm after nickle nitrate. I learned it can be made by
putting nickle powder in nitric acid. So this isn't quite as weird,
I'm now looking for nitric acid. I found this offer
http://www.bcscientific.com/Merchant...85000ACSCSL T

It also has a hazmat charge. Any chemical types know a cheaper source?

Karl

Greetings Karl,
I don't know a cheaper source but I do know that the nitric acid is
dangerous to work with. The fumes will rust stuff very fast. Not to
mention corrode your lungs too. So please be sure to wear all the
saftey stuff, keep lots of baking soda close at hand, and make sure
the area you are working in is very well ventilated. I used to
passivate small parts with nitric acid and by using the proper
precautions never had a problem with it. I did try rusting some steel
with the fumes just to get an idea of what it could do though. And the
warnings I had read were correct. To avoid hazardous shipping charges
I went directly to a supplier in the Seattle area to get mine since I
was going to be in the area anyway.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

Would you please do some before/after pix?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/1/2012 7:08 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

Google turned up lots of sites - mostly in China or India.

I don't think we do that here any more, Karl.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Richard wrote:

On 3/1/2012 7:08 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

Google turned up lots of sites - mostly in China or India.

I don't think we do that here any more, Karl.

And nitric acid is the starting point for a lot of things the
government really doesn't want you doing.
jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jk fired this volley in
:
I don't think we do that here any more, Karl.

And nitric acid is the starting point for a lot of things the
government really doesn't want you doing.
jk

Pshaw, JK! Nitric acid is readily available, even to ordinary laymen.
You pretty much have to get it on line, and accept the cost of special
shipping; but it's there.

The mention of it, though, reminds me that one can synthesize chromium
nitrate from the oxide and nitric acid.

(maybe that's why HNO3 was mentioned... haven't been chasing this
thread).

Thre's an outfit called "underground gadgets" (.com) that sells a lot of
industrial surplus stuff, and among them, Karl, is Alodyne solution.

IIRC Alodyne contains a lot of chromium nitrate, although it also
containes other stuff. It might be pressed into service for Parkerizing.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 1, 6:08*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

???? I've done home-made parking, didn't use anything like that.
What's your source for the weird receipe? I used manganese dioxide,
phosphoric acid, a little hydrochloric acid for etching and a small
wad of steel wool. That's it. No nickel, no chrome. All available
from Lowes or Home Despot except the manganese dioxide, that came from
the local pottery supply. If you want to do zinc parking, add a penny
or a chunk of battery casing. Used a stainless hot table tray from a
restaurant supply for a tank. Plenty of sites for doing military-
style parking, none use nickel or chrome compounds. No nitrates,
either, it's a PHOSPHATE finish.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 04:51:12 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Mar 1, 6:08*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
[...]

First, sorry for the brain fart, Its nickle nitrate. I'm just
following the military specification: MIL-P-500002B from Aug '81

I've got a 20 gallon tank and plan on parking all sorts of items. Its
a great finish, not just for weapons. No increase in thickness, holds
oil and don't rust.

I ordered a life supply of MNO2 and already have a bunch of H2PO4

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

First, sorry for the brain fart, Its nickle nitrate. I'm just
following the military specification: MIL-P-500002B from Aug '8

Underground gadgets carries that!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 8:22*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 04:51:12 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer

wrote:
On Mar 1, 6:08*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
[...]

Karl- Hide quoted text -

Haven't been able to find that one. What's the advantage over the
standard managanese or zinc versions that have been used for 80 years
or more? Everything you list applies to the regular stuff, too. With
what you have, you're ready to go as-is.

As far as doesn't rust, that's a function of the oil/grease holding
ability, the iron phosphate coating IS porous and you can get a rusty
surface, just not as fast as a bare steel surface. Have a bunch of
rusty surplus parkerized Thompson magazines that prove that. It does
make a superior prep coating for baked enamel coatings, though.

Stan