Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default chromium nitrate

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 17:26:22 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 07:08:37 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

BRAIN FART. I'm after nickle nitrate. I learned it can be made by
putting nickle powder in nitric acid. So this isn't quite as weird,
I'm now looking for nitric acid. I found this offer
http://www.bcscientific.com/Merchant...85000ACSCSL T

It also has a hazmat charge. Any chemical types know a cheaper source?

Karl

Greetings Karl,
I don't know a cheaper source but I do know that the nitric acid is
dangerous to work with. The fumes will rust stuff very fast. Not to
mention corrode your lungs too. So please be sure to wear all the
saftey stuff, keep lots of baking soda close at hand, and make sure
the area you are working in is very well ventilated. I used to
passivate small parts with nitric acid and by using the proper
precautions never had a problem with it. I did try rusting some steel
with the fumes just to get an idea of what it could do though. And the
warnings I had read were correct. To avoid hazardous shipping charges
I went directly to a supplier in the Seattle area to get mine since I
was going to be in the area anyway.
Eric