Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default chromium nitrate

On Mar 1, 6:08*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I'm looking for a few lbs. of chromium nitrate. its used in
parkerizing solution for parking guns. I'm making my own concentrate.

You can get 20 metric tons from china for pennies a lb. or I found
reagent grade for $35 a lb. on eBay.

Any ideas on places to search?

Karl

???? I've done home-made parking, didn't use anything like that.
What's your source for the weird receipe? I used manganese dioxide,
phosphoric acid, a little hydrochloric acid for etching and a small
wad of steel wool. That's it. No nickel, no chrome. All available
from Lowes or Home Despot except the manganese dioxide, that came from
the local pottery supply. If you want to do zinc parking, add a penny
or a chunk of battery casing. Used a stainless hot table tray from a
restaurant supply for a tank. Plenty of sites for doing military-
style parking, none use nickel or chrome compounds. No nitrates,
either, it's a PHOSPHATE finish.

Stan