Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Because of the failed policies of Sarah Palin, Alaskans are paying $5 for gas

"Rob Furlong" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 8:27 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
What a hoser...Sarah Palin screws over Alaskans and then leaves the
building....

TMT

Must be Bush's fault too !!

Actually ................

I was an honor student in high school. I did a term paper in my senior year
to prepare for college. The term paper was about the cost of things in
Alaska. Everything has to be brought there, being few natural resources.
But the conditions are harsh, and even local stuff, like lumber and oil end
up costing a lot because of the cost of production. And even stuff like
gold that comes out of the ground fight there isn't any cheaper than it is
anywhere else. Palin is enjoying herself, as anyone here would who had her
money. Traveling, living large, eating good.

And $5 gas is nothing new to Alaska.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

And $5 gas is nothing new to Alaska.

No kidding. I went there in 1973 to Ft. Greely, from Ft. Rucker Al.
Premium gasoline was 18.9 cents a gallon at Rucker and over $1.65 a
gallon at Greely. If it has only trippled in 39 years, it's a bargain
along the Alcan at $5 a gallon. It's $4 a gallon in some parts of
Florida, without the expense of trucking small tankers on the Alcan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

And $5 gas is nothing new to Alaska.

No kidding. I went there in 1973 to Ft. Greely, from Ft. Rucker Al.

A good friend of mine was in Ft. Greely in about 1967 or 1968. This guy
exemplified making lemonade from lemons. I don't think he was
particularly keen to go to Ft. Greely, but he took the opportunity to
learn to ski, and bought a nice .22 rifle and took all the free ammo the
Army gave him and became a skilled marksman. Then he went to Falls
Church, VA and finished the rest of his time in the Army, and avoided
the Vietnam quagmire altogether. He used to hint that in one of his
last official actions, he managed to reroute my older brother's Army
destiny into some clerical MOS that kept my brother out of the infantry.
When my brother ended up being sent to Vietnam in 1971, he was feeding
punch cards into an IBM 360 computer housed in a double-wide at Long
Binh rather than slogging through rice paddies.