Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Presses

I am looking for a replacement for a chinese bench drill. It's not
bad, provided you can live with spindle runout that can be measured
with a yardstick. I'm gonna move on up to a floor model. 18+ inches,
1000- dollars. I have no real heartburn with decent chinese if the
quality is ok and the price is good. I'd prefer American, old or new,
but price is likely to be a problem on new; and availibility and
serviceability a probem on old stuff. I am in the Savannah, Ga area.
Any ideas or recomendations? Currently leaning towards "Dayton" brand
presses. Seems to be Grainger's house brand. Chinese of course. Any
experiences?

Thanks,
Ken
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kenneth James" wrote in message

I am looking for a replacement for a chinese bench drill. It's not
bad, provided you can live with spindle runout that can be measured
with a yardstick. I'm gonna move on up to a floor model. 18+ inches,
1000- dollars. I have no real heartburn with decent chinese if the
quality is ok and the price is good. I'd prefer American, old or new,
but price is likely to be a problem on new; and availibility and
serviceability a probem on old stuff. I am in the Savannah, Ga area.
Any ideas or recomendations? Currently leaning towards "Dayton" brand
presses. Seems to be Grainger's house brand. Chinese of course. Any
experiences?

Thanks,
Ken

This might fill the bill:
http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inven...hp?item=BT1464

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 10, 3:53*pm, Kenneth James wrote:
I am looking for a replacement for a chinese bench drill.

Thanks,
Ken

Joe Autodrill recommended a particular Grizzley drill press in RCM.
As I remember it was a Chinese drill press and cost about 500$. Might
be worth searching for that post.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kenneth James" wrote in message
I am looking for a replacement for a chinese bench drill. It's not
bad, provided you can live with spindle runout that can be measured
with a yardstick. I'm gonna move on up to a floor model. 18+ inches,
1000- dollars. I have no real heartburn with decent chinese if the
quality is ok and the price is good. I'd prefer American, old or new,
but price is likely to be a problem on new; and availibility and
serviceability a probem on old stuff. I am in the Savannah, Ga area.
Any ideas or recomendations? Currently leaning towards "Dayton" brand
presses. Seems to be Grainger's house brand. Chinese of course. Any
experiences?

Thanks,
Ken

I checked runout on a couple used Dayton's when I was looking for a second
drill press. Wasn't any better than my Harbor Fright.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:53:50 -0800 (PST), Kenneth James
wrote:

I am looking for a replacement for a chinese bench drill. It's not
bad, provided you can live with spindle runout that can be measured
with a yardstick. I'm gonna move on up to a floor model. 18+ inches,
1000- dollars. I have no real heartburn with decent chinese if the
quality is ok and the price is good. I'd prefer American, old or new,
but price is likely to be a problem on new; and availibility and
serviceability a probem on old stuff. I am in the Savannah, Ga area.
Any ideas or recomendations? Currently leaning towards "Dayton" brand
presses. Seems to be Grainger's house brand. Chinese of course. Any
experiences?

Thanks,
Ken

Clausing, Delta, Walker-Turner, Cincinatti, Powermatic, Arboga, and
older Craftsman

Simply go to ebay, enter "drill press", enter "closest first" and see
whats available in your area

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Kenneth James wrote:

I am looking for a replacement for a chinese bench drill. It's not
bad, provided you can live with spindle runout that can be measured
with a yardstick. I'm gonna move on up to a floor model. 18+ inches,
1000- dollars. I have no real heartburn with decent chinese if the
quality is ok and the price is good. I'd prefer American, old or new,
but price is likely to be a problem on new; and availibility and
serviceability a probem on old stuff. I am in the Savannah, Ga area.
Any ideas or recomendations? Currently leaning towards "Dayton" brand
presses. Seems to be Grainger's house brand. Chinese of course. Any
experiences?

First rule is to get something with a Morse Taper spindle (versus Jacobs
Taper, or (shudder) a spindle with a chuck attachment thread). This
will eliminate all the Happy Harry Homeowner wobble-drills, even if the
maker is Chinese.

This rule actually is universal. I once spent a few hours at a used
machine tool place measuring runout on all the floor drill presses they
had, so twenty units if I recall. All the units with other than Morse
Taper were terrible, regardless of make and model.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 6:08*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

First rule is to get something with a Morse Taper spindle (versus Jacobs
Taper, or (shudder) a spindle with a chuck attachment thread). *This
will eliminate all the Happy Harry Homeowner wobble-drills, even if the
maker is Chinese.

This rule actually is universal. *I once spent a few hours at a used
machine tool place measuring runout on all the floor drill presses they
had, so twenty units if I recall. *All the units with other than Morse
Taper were terrible, regardless of make and model.

Joe Gwinn

I think the second rule is buying a good drill press chuck. Bench
grinders seem to come with poor wheels and drill presses seem to come
with cheap chucks. At least it seems true for the less expensive
ones.

Dan

Speaking of Drill Presses Bob La Londe Metalworking 6 December 30th 08 07:42 PM
drill presses Max Woodworking 23 November 13th 06 05:27 PM
Sears drill presses yourname Metalworking 7 March 25th 06 06:09 AM
drill presses anyone? William B Noble (don't reply to this address) Metalworking 0 March 11th 06 06:19 PM
General Drill Presses Upscale Woodworking 4 August 27th 03 06:02 AM