Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Presses

On Feb 11, 6:08*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

First rule is to get something with a Morse Taper spindle (versus Jacobs
Taper, or (shudder) a spindle with a chuck attachment thread). *This
will eliminate all the Happy Harry Homeowner wobble-drills, even if the
maker is Chinese.

This rule actually is universal. *I once spent a few hours at a used
machine tool place measuring runout on all the floor drill presses they
had, so twenty units if I recall. *All the units with other than Morse
Taper were terrible, regardless of make and model.

Joe Gwinn

I think the second rule is buying a good drill press chuck. Bench
grinders seem to come with poor wheels and drill presses seem to come
with cheap chucks. At least it seems true for the less expensive
ones.

Dan