Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boat trailer finished...for now...

Actual metal working content!

I've finished the trailer for my boat and - lo and behold -
it actually worked!

It's hard for people who don't make things to grasp the nuances of a
project like this. But I'm sure the folks here know.
How to fit a trailer to a sailboat?
Nice rounded bilges, not a straight line anywhere to be seen.

But the most common suggestion about getting the two to fit was,
"Why don't you just measure it?"
Oh yeah. Let me grab a tape measure.

But in the end, not a bad fit...
Although I think I have a few more gray hairs now.

Was it worth it?

Yes, absolutely. We are mobile now.
And for about 1/2 the commonly quoted price.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/trailer.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/18/2012 7:21 AM, Richard wrote:
Actual metal working content!

I've finished the trailer for my boat and - lo and behold -
it actually worked!

It's hard for people who don't make things to grasp the nuances of a
project like this. But I'm sure the folks here know.
How to fit a trailer to a sailboat?
Nice rounded bilges, not a straight line anywhere to be seen.

But the most common suggestion about getting the two to fit was,
"Why don't you just measure it?"
Oh yeah. Let me grab a tape measure.

But in the end, not a bad fit...
Although I think I have a few more gray hairs now.

Was it worth it?

Yes, absolutely. We are mobile now.
And for about 1/2 the commonly quoted price.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/trailer.htm

Excellent job! So, how many people want you to build a trailer for their
boat?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/18/2012 9:56 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
[...]

After the learning process my price is double the local builders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Richard,

Looks good. Very good !! And the boat still looks Bristol !! Good for
you !!

The travel-lift is in the way (in the pix) to see the bottom as it
came out, but did it haulout looking that clean?

Do you have a pix of the trailer as found before you did anything to
it?

I can't tell from the pix, but does it have or can you put a
"sub-mount" for the spring attach points so that you can slide the
wheels fore/aft "under" the frame? That would allow you to get tongue
weight correct(ed).

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:21:40 -0600, Richard
wrote:

Actual metal working content!

I've finished the trailer for my boat and - lo and behold -
it actually worked!

It's hard for people who don't make things to grasp the nuances of a
project like this. But I'm sure the folks here know.
How to fit a trailer to a sailboat?
Nice rounded bilges, not a straight line anywhere to be seen.

But the most common suggestion about getting the two to fit was,
"Why don't you just measure it?"
Oh yeah. Let me grab a tape measure.

But in the end, not a bad fit...
Although I think I have a few more gray hairs now.

Was it worth it?

Yes, absolutely. We are mobile now.
And for about 1/2 the commonly quoted price.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/trailer.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/18/2012 2:36 PM, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Richard,

Looks good. Very good !! And the boat still looks Bristol !! Good for
you !!

It's starting to look a lot better now.
Being as that it's just around the corner and I can get to it, I
started compounding/polishing the hull. Dumb ol' man, doing work
meant for 20 somethings. But I can see myself in the reflection now!

The travel-lift is in the way (in the pix) to see the bottom as it
came out, but did it haulout looking that clean?

More pics on the web page.
It's didn't have a long beard like I expected. It did have a heavy
5-o'clock shadow though. The guys immediately washed it off with a
light pressure washer. You don't want to let that junk dry on there
or it will be a bear to get off.

The mineral deposits (bath tub ring?) had to be sanded off.

Do you have a pix of the trailer as found before you did anything to
it?

Standby a sec?
Ok, all done. I'm getting really tight on space on that page!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/trailer.htm

I can't tell from the pix, but does it have or can you put a
"sub-mount" for the spring attach points so that you can slide the
wheels fore/aft "under" the frame? That would allow you to get tongue
weight correct(ed).

Yes. That will be an easy fix.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/18/2012 4:53 PM, Richard wrote:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/trailer.htm

I can't tell from the pix, but does it have or can you put a
"sub-mount" for the spring attach points so that you can slide the
wheels fore/aft "under" the frame? That would allow you to get tongue
weight correct(ed).

Yes, that will be an easy fix. There is just enough room on the side
frame to accommodate it.

If you compare the before and after pics, you can see how far forward
the wheels were moved forward.

That's one of the bigger differences between
power and sail trailers. Power boats have a heavy motor hanging off
the back. Sailboats have a keel (that weighs more than the power boat)
right in the center.

The front end, that long graceful angle got chopped off and shortened.
And I cut another 5 feet off of the back end.

The worst problem was the tongue. It was originally UNDER the frame.
I don't know what he was going to pull it with, but when I hooked up
the front wheels were off the ground. We fixed that by chopping off the
hitch and adding a new tongue tube on top.

I didn't do all the welding by any means! I tacked up my changes and
stuff with my little 120v buzz box and had Vernon burn it in with his
monster welder.

The ladder still needs work. It will move forward a foot and maybe be
completely rebuilt to raise the top another foot or two. Note that the
boat doesn't have a bow eye yet. I'd like it to be well above the water
line! With the ladder like it is, the bow eye would be right about on
the Water line. Oops!

Oh well. Minor problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2012 12:51 AM, Richard wrote:
Actual metal working content!

I've finished the trailer for my boat and - lo and behold -
it actually worked!

It's hard for people who don't make things to grasp the nuances of a
project like this. But I'm sure the folks here know.
How to fit a trailer to a sailboat?
Nice rounded bilges, not a straight line anywhere to be seen.

But the most common suggestion about getting the two to fit was,
"Why don't you just measure it?"
Oh yeah. Let me grab a tape measure.

But in the end, not a bad fit...
Although I think I have a few more gray hairs now.

Was it worth it?

Yes, absolutely. We are mobile now.
And for about 1/2 the commonly quoted price.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/trailer.htm

That's a fine looking job .
I'm also in the throws a building a baot trailer ,but for a 12' tinnie (
aluminium dihgy to you guys.

--
Kevin (Bluey)