Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Boat trailer finished...for now...

On 1/18/2012 4:53 PM, Richard wrote:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/trailer.htm

I can't tell from the pix, but does it have or can you put a
"sub-mount" for the spring attach points so that you can slide the
wheels fore/aft "under" the frame? That would allow you to get tongue
weight correct(ed).

Yes, that will be an easy fix. There is just enough room on the side
frame to accommodate it.

If you compare the before and after pics, you can see how far forward
the wheels were moved forward.

That's one of the bigger differences between
power and sail trailers. Power boats have a heavy motor hanging off
the back. Sailboats have a keel (that weighs more than the power boat)
right in the center.

The front end, that long graceful angle got chopped off and shortened.
And I cut another 5 feet off of the back end.

The worst problem was the tongue. It was originally UNDER the frame.
I don't know what he was going to pull it with, but when I hooked up
the front wheels were off the ground. We fixed that by chopping off the
hitch and adding a new tongue tube on top.

I didn't do all the welding by any means! I tacked up my changes and
stuff with my little 120v buzz box and had Vernon burn it in with his
monster welder.

The ladder still needs work. It will move forward a foot and maybe be
completely rebuilt to raise the top another foot or two. Note that the
boat doesn't have a bow eye yet. I'd like it to be well above the water
line! With the ladder like it is, the bow eye would be right about on
the Water line. Oops!

Oh well. Minor problem.