Real Name

Default Bought another boat -- $120.00 12 ft Starcraft with trailer

Igor,
Great deal. What has happened to rec.boats.marketplace have you turned the
moderation over to someone else?

"Ignoramus25870" wrote in message
.. .
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

I bought a Starcraft Seafarer, 12 foot, with trailer which seems to be
in okay shape, at an estate sale today. After some haggling, I got it
for $120.

It needs oars.

Is that a sensible price?

I also got two fuel tanks and an anchor for $8.

What would you suggest to do to ensure safety of the
trailer. Re-oiling the hubs etc?

I am not the man on these pictures.

I will use this boat to go on a local lake where power boats are not
allowed.

thanks

Ken Davey

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:55:05 GMT, Ignoramus25870
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

I bought a Starcraft Seafarer, 12 foot, with trailer which seems to be
in okay shape, at an estate sale today. After some haggling, I got it
for $120.

It needs oars.

Is that a sensible price?

I also got two fuel tanks and an anchor for $8.

What would you suggest to do to ensure safety of the
trailer. Re-oiling the hubs etc?

I am not the man on these pictures.

I will use this boat to go on a local lake where power boats are not
allowed.

thanks

I hope that lake is a small one and you are not thinking of rowing
around as some form of fun/recreation as these boats are miserable to
row.
Yeah - re-pack the bearings and make sure the seals and sealing
surfaces are in good condition.
More important; check the integrity of the hitch and safety chain.
A wheel coming off can ruin an outing but a hitch failing WILL
completely ruin several people's day.

Regards.
Ken.
doo

It needs oars.

Hey, I can't help with the oars, but I happen to know for a fact that
Rob has at least one oarlock for ya...LOL
# 384
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.c=ADom/
That's if you don't mind rowing in cicles...

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:55:05 GMT, the opaque Ignoramus25870
spake:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

I bought a Starcraft Seafarer, 12 foot, with trailer which seems to be
in okay shape, at an estate sale today. After some haggling, I got it
for $120.

It needs oars.

Is that a sensible price?

Yeah, not bad at all. Now to build yourself some reverse
mechanisms for the oars, so you can row normally while
going forward instead of backward. Cool, huh?
http://www.museum.state.il.us/RiverWeb/harvesting/archives/images/?RollID=roll3&FrameID=WoodnCDB7_450

I also got two fuel tanks and an anchor for $8.

Oars need fuel? g

What would you suggest to do to ensure safety of the
trailer. Re-oiling the hubs etc?

Repack/replace the bearings, add Bearing Buddies if not equipped.

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Roger Shoaf

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I also got two fuel tanks and an anchor for $8.

Oars need fuel? g

Of course. The nubile topless galley slave girls need cold drinks so you
run the generator to power the fridge.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

RoyJ

Ya done good on the price

Boat trailers get dunked in the water so the bearings get submerged,
then ignored for years. Don't be surprised if they are toast. Pull the
wheel bearings, clean, inspect, repack with good wheel bearing grease
or, better yet, some marine wheel bearing grease. Your loads and speeds
would allow a few specks of rust on the bearings and races. New bearing
sets run $12 a wheel so if in doubt, replace.

If you haven't packed wheel bearings before, be sure to clean out all
the old grease, then force the new grease into the crack between the
roller retainer and the inner race. Continue until the grease comes out
the other end. Best way is to put a gop of grease in your left plam,
scrape the bearing against your hand. Messy but effective.

Check the tires for major cracks and checks. These are normally sun
checked but too many cracks will require replacement. Again, the tires
are likely to be many years old.

The lights are probably shot, they get broken and/or corroded. Lights
are $10 each, $25 for a full kit with 2 rear lights, 2 side lights,
connector, vehicle pigtail, and all the wire. With this trailer your tow
vehicle tail lights can be easily seen, cops will bust you anyway. If
you try to repair the old ones, getting a clean ground from the light to
the frame to the front of the frame to the tow vehicle can be a real
problem. A bad ground between the trailer and tow will give you some
WEIRD symptoms. Also, make sure your tow vehicle can support trailer
lights, most later model vehicles require an adapter block to avoid
overloading the tail light circuit.

A pair of oars should be available from any marine store.
www.westmarine.com has them, spendy though.

Start looking at electric trolling motors and deep cycle marine
batteries. Your cheap boat will become the proverbial "a boat is a hole
in the water that you throw money into"

Have fun.

Ignoramus25870 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

I bought a Starcraft Seafarer, 12 foot, with trailer which seems to be
in okay shape, at an estate sale today. After some haggling, I got it
for $120.

It needs oars.

Is that a sensible price?

I also got two fuel tanks and an anchor for $8.

What would you suggest to do to ensure safety of the
trailer. Re-oiling the hubs etc?

I am not the man on these pictures.

I will use this boat to go on a local lake where power boats are not
allowed.

thanks

Tim

Surely you can use a trolling motor.....
Beats rowing.

I will use this boat to go on a local lake where power boats are not
allowed.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 03:43:40 GMT, the opaque Ignoramus25870
clearly wrote:

I already have marine batteries, and will indeed look for a trolling
motor. I remember seeing one for sale for $80 2 years ago.

By now, that one oughta be real cheap, Iggy.

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Tom

Ignoramus25870 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

I bought a Starcraft Seafarer, 12 foot, with trailer which seems to be
in okay shape, at an estate sale today. After some haggling, I got it
for $120.

It needs oars.

Is that a sensible price?

I also got two fuel tanks and an anchor for $8.

You got screwed silly, row boats don't use gas tanks.................
Fill 'em with rocks and you'll have 3 anchors.

At least you got the boat/trailer thing right, there seems to be alot of
folks lately that think trailers are for motorcycles.

Put a big block Chevy in it with a Berkely pump and you'll have a hell of
a fun rideG

Tom