Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arc flash protection at 476 volts

On 1/16/2012 3:50, Ignoramus30685 wrote:
As I will sometimes test used 460v equipment, using my 240 - 476v, 45
kVA transformer, I would like to somewhat enhance my safety, in
regards to "arc flash" and other such problems.

What I want to do is this:

1) Wear heavy cotton clothing, like a work jacket
2) Wear a welding helmet
3) Stand on a piece of wood
4) Operate stuff with one hand only
5) As I turn something on, have my employee stand by and hold a handle
of a disconnect leading TO the transformer.
6) If he sees or hears anything untoward, he would be instructed to
immediately turn the disconnect off.

Does this make sense?

Get a proper arc fault switch..

The energy from the arc melts the clothing to your skin,
right before cooking your skin.. The pieces of the hardware
from the arc site fly through your body, which is blown away
by the shockwave from the arc..

Here are videos of actual occurrances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P00WE7z9tu4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPJtknGmsys