AliTonto

Default LM7812 semiconductor has zero volts in but still measures 12.12 volts out?

This LM7812 is in a TV power supply without any raster or sound.
When I power on and test the voltage input at pin 1 I measure no
voltage there but on checking pin 2 (output) I get 12.12volts.
My question is: how can that be? where is the voltage coming from when
the input is not there?
Thanks to anyone who might be able to eplain this one.
AliT
Mark D. Zacharias

My guess is that somehow you made bad contact measuring, that there was
indeed voltage at the input. Remove the device and see if there's still
voltage at pin 3.

Another possibility: the device is rectifying (AC at it's input).

Mark Z.

"AliTonto" wrote in message
om...
This LM7812 is in a TV power supply without any raster or sound.
When I power on and test the voltage input at pin 1 I measure no
voltage there but on checking pin 2 (output) I get 12.12volts.
My question is: how can that be? where is the voltage coming from when
the input is not there?
Thanks to anyone who might be able to eplain this one.
AliT

Mark D. Zacharias

P.S.

I once had this happen on a NAD receiver. A shorted diode fed AC to the
regulator, which happily put out 12v DC. The standby transformer, however,
wasn't so happy. Opened the thermal fuse before I found out what was
happening.

Mark Z.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
My guess is that somehow you made bad contact measuring, that there was
indeed voltage at the input. Remove the device and see if there's still
voltage at pin 3.

Another possibility: the device is rectifying (AC at it's input).

Mark Z.

"AliTonto" wrote in message
om...
This LM7812 is in a TV power supply without any raster or sound.
When I power on and test the voltage input at pin 1 I measure no
voltage there but on checking pin 2 (output) I get 12.12volts.
My question is: how can that be? where is the voltage coming from when
the input is not there?
Thanks to anyone who might be able to eplain this one.
AliT

Jacques Carrier

I would connect a scope to the input pin of the regulator to see what is going on
really.

Jacques

Michael Black

AliTonto ) writes:
This LM7812 is in a TV power supply without any raster or sound.
When I power on and test the voltage input at pin 1 I measure no
voltage there but on checking pin 2 (output) I get 12.12volts.
My question is: how can that be? where is the voltage coming from when
the input is not there?
Thanks to anyone who might be able to eplain this one.
AliT

Assuming this is a to-220 package, it's input, ground, and output.
I would never refer to the output as "pin 2". Given that, I'd make
sure you had the pinout right, before looking for some obscure matter.

Michael

Michael Black

"Sofie" ) writes:
Michael Black:
Yes indeed, the output is pin 2.
Read carefully........

You're right! It just goes to show how long it's been since I looked
carefully at that pintout. I just remember input/ground/output.

In my favor, I just checked a Motoral databook (merely out of curiosity
about this curiosity) and they show the TO-220 78XX regulator as
I defined it.

I wouldn't even talk in terms of pin numbers on three terminals, it
seems less than useful. You can just as easily speak of input/ground/output

Michael

Artur Butryn

Uzytkownik "AliTonto" napisal w wiadomosci
om...
This LM7812 is in a TV power supply without any raster or sound.
When I power on and test the voltage input at pin 1 I measure no
voltage there but on checking pin 2 (output) I get 12.12volts.
My question is: how can that be? where is the voltage coming from when
the input is not there?
Thanks to anyone who might be able to eplain this one.
AliT

Where do you get the ground from for your multimeter?
Try checking the voltage between pins 1-2 (this is the input voltage)
and pins 2-3 (output voltage)

Greetz
Artur
..

JURB6006

Some TVs use a standby supply that runs all the time and simply feeds the 5V
and enough 12V to kick the relay in. Once turned on these supplies are
"overridden" by a run supply, sometimes from the horizontal.

If you've actually got the 12V, but no input, something else that is supposed
to run from the source that feeds that regulator is down, and probably causing
your symptom.

Usually they use blocking diodes though, and a shorted one of those was
probably the original cause of the problem. Best I can do with the info
provided.

Good Luck.

JURB