Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arc flash protection at 476 volts

Ignoramus30685 wrote:

As I will sometimes test used 460v equipment, using my 240 - 476v, 45
kVA transformer, I would like to somewhat enhance my safety, in
regards to "arc flash" and other such problems.

What I want to do is this:

1) Wear heavy cotton clothing, like a work jacket
2) Wear a welding helmet
3) Stand on a piece of wood
4) Operate stuff with one hand only
5) As I turn something on, have my employee stand by and hold a handle
of a disconnect leading TO the transformer.
6) If he sees or hears anything untoward, he would be instructed to
immediately turn the disconnect off.

Wow, you need to do some reading on these hazards. I don't think
your 45 KVA transformer can really deliver the kind of currents that
can lead to the worst sorts of arc flash disasters, you could probably
still get something much worse than you imagine.

One hand only while standing on a piece of wood is fairly good for
120 V, but is pretty inadequate for 460. You ought to look into
a pair of electrical gloves with the rubber insulation inside. You
don't need the multi-KV sort, just the general low-voltage saftey
kind, so they shouldn't be very expensive.

Cotton is not going to be much protection against an arc flash, it
might ignite, even when a number of feet away. How about a welding
jacket to go with your welding helmet? I don't know what they do
to those, but I assume they have some sort of material and/or treatment
to make them less flammable.

Make sure the disconnect will actually disconnect and quench the
arc under fault conditions. You may want to check into current
limiting fuses and such to make sure the available fault current
is minimized.

Jon