Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default Arc flash protection at 476 volts

Ignoramus30685 wrote:

As I will sometimes test used 460v equipment, using my 240 - 476v, 45
kVA transformer, I would like to somewhat enhance my safety, in
regards to "arc flash" and other such problems.

What I want to do is this:

1) Wear heavy cotton clothing, like a work jacket
2) Wear a welding helmet
3) Stand on a piece of wood
4) Operate stuff with one hand only
5) As I turn something on, have my employee stand by and hold a handle
of a disconnect leading TO the transformer.
6) If he sees or hears anything untoward, he would be instructed to
immediately turn the disconnect off.

Does this make sense?

Yes and no.

1) Wear heavy cotton clothing, like a work jacket

Better than nylon but Nomex or other FR clothing is better
2) Wear a welding helmet

IF it is autodarkening it might work, otherwise how will you see.
3) Stand on a piece of wood

Does nothing for arc flash, may do little for anything else, except
slip and land you on your keister. Use a proper rubber mat
4) Operate stuff with one hand only

Always a good idea, but does nothing for arc flash
5) As I turn something on, have my employee stand by and hold a handle
of a disconnect leading TO the transformer.
6) If he sees or hears anything untoward, he would be instructed to
immediately turn the disconnect off.

A gfi and a set of current limiting fuses is a far better idea.

jk