Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 10 HP Carburator Conumdrum

Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a
full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT
carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or
jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt
it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the
engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article nc,
JR North wrote:

Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a
full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT
carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or
jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt
it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the
engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

Motorcycle junkyard - perhaps some of the smaller dirtbikes? Perhaps not
so small, at that - suspect carb size has more to do with cc/ci
displacement than "power" - a dirtbike of the same displacement as a
stationary 10hp is probably more horsepower, but likely the flow is more
or less in line?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
diainc...
Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a full
range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT carbs
for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or jets. I
don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt it as req.
Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the engine
model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

I have a 10hp Tecumseh with a governor that's fully "throttle-able"
from idle up to WOT... the governor just keeps it from running over 3600rpm
(or whatever rpm you set up the governor to run at.)
On a generator they're usually set to run "at 3600 rpm" because the
"throttle" is fixed at WOT... but the same motor on a lawn tractor will have
a moveable cable throttle so you can run from idle to WOT.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 13, 3:51*pm, JR North wrote:
Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a
full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT
carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or
jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt
it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the
engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

* * * * Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

a) go-kart and minibike forums
b) single-cylinder motorcycle carb for about the same displacement
(make sure it's a 4-stroke carb, they are different)

In the Honda realm, many carbs out there for an XR100 (100cc), XR200,
XR400, XR600, XR650, and even a vacuum-slide 650 carb.

If you measure the open (pass-through) throat diameter we can track
down a similar sized carb from the on-line specs.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:

Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a
full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT
carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or
jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt
it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the
engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

The carb on my 12 Hp one-lung Wisconsin on my tractor was totally trashed,
and the air filters no longer available, it was updraft which doesn't work
so well, etc.

I had a carb off a Honda motorcycle that I adapted to the engine, and
had to rig a little bell-crank to turn the governor-throttle linkage
to the right direction. I also had to add a fuel pump and header tank to
get fuel sufficiently above the carb, but it works WAY better than the
original gravity-fed system which crapped out every time you were on a
hill. I made up a plate that adapts a small rectangular auto air filter.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thought about a small scooter carb, but they are pretty much all 2
cycle...not *sure* those would work....
JR

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:55:30 -0500, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article nc,
JR North wrote:

Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a
full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT
carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or
jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt
it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the
engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

Motorcycle junkyard - perhaps some of the smaller dirtbikes? Perhaps not
so small, at that - suspect carb size has more to do with cc/ci
displacement than "power" - a dirtbike of the same displacement as a
stationary 10hp is probably more horsepower, but likely the flow is more
or less in line?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Agreed. But the WOT carbs aren't intended to run constantly below the
governor speed. The idle stop just keeps the governor from stalling
the engine if it backs off. The idle/off idle jets are just drilled
holes; no adjustment for mixture, so they basically just keep the
engine lit until it's revved back up to speed.
JR

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:20:25 -0600, "David Courtney"
wrote:

"JR North" wrote in message
ediainc...
Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a full
range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT carbs
for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or jets. I
don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt it as req.
Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the engine
model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

I have a 10hp Tecumseh with a governor that's fully "throttle-able"
from idle up to WOT... the governor just keeps it from running over 3600rpm
(or whatever rpm you set up the governor to run at.)
On a generator they're usually set to run "at 3600 rpm" because the
"throttle" is fixed at WOT... but the same motor on a lawn tractor will have
a moveable cable throttle so you can run from idle to WOT.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:51:58 -0800, JR North
wrote:

Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a
full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT
carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or
jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt
it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the
engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

Get a Tillotson HR from an old snowmobile engine, or a motorcycle
carb from a 250-ish cc single, or any number of other carbs made for
engines of similar displacement or power output, that ARE adjustable
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:20:25 -0600, "David Courtney"
wrote:

"JR North" wrote in message
ediainc...
Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a full
range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT carbs
for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or jets. I
don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt it as req.
Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the engine
model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

I have a 10hp Tecumseh with a governor that's fully "throttle-able"
from idle up to WOT... the governor just keeps it from running over 3600rpm
(or whatever rpm you set up the governor to run at.)
On a generator they're usually set to run "at 3600 rpm" because the
"throttle" is fixed at WOT... but the same motor on a lawn tractor will have
a moveable cable throttle so you can run from idle to WOT.

If it has a governor, it is NOT fixed at WOT. The throttle is
controlled by the governor - the only problem with using one as an
ungoverned unit is getting the linkage sorted out. The governor varies
the throttle to maintain a set speed under varying loads.

We used to build mini-bikes using governed lawnmower motors by taking
off the governor spring and using a string to operate the throttle. An
old Lauson 2 HP engine could REALLY wind out - for a couple of hours
of fun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK- thanks for the thoughts. Snagged this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150604196402

Should work with a little tweakage.

wrote:

Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a
full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT
carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or
jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt
it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the
engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas?
JR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:26:28 -0800, JR North
wrote:

OK- thanks for the thoughts. Snagged this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150604196402

Should work with a little tweakage.

Good deal. Those are $54.25 in the Amazone.
The Big Question: Can you get spare parts for it?

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK- thanks for the thoughts. Snagged this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150604196402

Should work with a little tweakage.

Good deal. Those are $54.25 in the Amazone.
The Big Question: Can you get spare parts for it?

It has the Keihin logo, a stylized K. Keihin is famous in the motorcycle
industry. Good stuff.

Below the K it says "STANDARD OF JAPAN", sort of a strange statement.
The Chinese make strange statements.

My guess is, it's a copy of the same 27mm Keihin carb on my 1979 Honda
180cc single.