Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Powergenix battery use

I've got a few Powergenix, and the charger to go with. Seem to be sold only
in AA cells. But, that's fine. I use a lot of AA cells.

Problem is, that once in a while a device (digicam, flash light or PC
speakers) I'll notice the device is going weak. Turns out that one cell is
dead, the other 1 or 3 are fine.

The company did write back, if the cell is less than 1.1 volts, it's
probably permanantly damaged.

Yesterday, I opened a pack of 8 cells that I'd bought off Ebay, maybe a year
ago. Three of the cells were DOA. Perhaps those are not going to be very
good as batteries? Maybe they don't keep a charge for a year?

What's anyone else's experience?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a few Powergenix, and the charger to go with. Seem to be sold only
in AA cells. But, that's fine. I use a lot of AA cells.

Problem is, that once in a while a device (digicam, flash light or PC
speakers) I'll notice the device is going weak. Turns out that one cell is
dead, the other 1 or 3 are fine.

The company did write back, if the cell is less than 1.1 volts, it's
probably permanantly damaged.

Yesterday, I opened a pack of 8 cells that I'd bought off Ebay, maybe a year
ago. Three of the cells were DOA. Perhaps those are not going to be very
good as batteries? Maybe they don't keep a charge for a year?

What's anyone else's experience?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I bought a set at BigLots. One wouldn't take a charge, the other three
were iffy.
I think there's a reason they never took off in the market.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 6, 12:56*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've got a few Powergenix, and the charger to go with. Seem to be sold only
in AA cells. But, that's fine. I use a lot of AA cells.

Problem is, that once in a while a device (digicam, flash light or PC
speakers) I'll notice the device is going weak. Turns out that one cell is
dead, the other 1 or 3 are fine.

The company did write back, if the cell is less than 1.1 volts, it's
probably permanantly damaged.

Yesterday, I opened a pack of 8 cells that I'd bought off Ebay, maybe a year
ago. Three of the cells were DOA. Perhaps those are *not going to be very
good as batteries? Maybe they don't keep a charge for a year?

What's anyone else's experience?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I've not seen the brand here, myself. I looked at the company's
website and it looks like they're some sort of rechargeable nickel-
zinc battery. Folks have been working at this for 50 years or better
and they always run up against a physical problem, zinc electrodes
want to regrow with nasty needles on the recharge cycle, these
penetrate whatever they're using for a cell divider and short out the
cells eventually. Doesn't matter what mouse-milk they add or what
they change geometry on, shorts are a fact of life with zinc
rechargeables. Too bad, theoretically, they've got a pretty high
energy density for secondary cells as well as being nonexotic
ingredients. I just wonder if the needles could be zapped with a
capacitor, ala nicads, for a little extra life. I would do this with
a shield between me and the cell, though.

Stan