Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question about "Good Stuff"

I'm at the point of adding flashing to make the corners on my building. I
need to add some sort of sealant. Regular caulking would do it, just take a
lot, and some of the spaces are rather large, in the 20 cubic inch range.

Is Good Stuff spreadable? Is it very self adhesive for overhead and
vertical applications? I may have to make some cardboard dams for just
until it sets up enough to adhere. As it ages, does it keep its
adhesiveness, or may it fall off of the overhead?

I know there's a short working time with this. Could one spray some out,
then putty knife it right away into the cracks and crags. Know I just need
to go get a couple of cans and try it, just looking for anyone who has
experience with this stuff.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

I'm at the point of adding flashing to make the corners on my building. I
need to add some sort of sealant. Regular caulking would do it, just take
a lot, and some of the spaces are rather large, in the 20 cubic inch
range.

Is Good Stuff spreadable? Is it very self adhesive for overhead and
vertical applications?

It is VERY self-adhesive, it gets all over you, burns unprotected skin
and destroys any clothing near where you are using it, like your sleeves.
You really can't do a lot with it, as it is SO sticky, you can't get
whatever you would use to spread it loose.

I may have to make some cardboard dams for just
until it sets up enough to adhere. As it ages, does it keep its
adhesiveness, or may it fall off of the overhead?

I know there's a short working time with this. Could one spray some out,
then putty knife it right away into the cracks and crags. Know I just
need to go get a couple of cans and try it, just looking for anyone who
has experience with this stuff.

I've never done this or seen anyone who uses it professionally do that.
Just stick the nozzle in the crevice and PFFT. But, it will expand for
about a half hour. The next day you can carve it, sand it, whatever.

One warning is applying too much in a large volume may burst whatever
is trying to contain the stuff.

I'd probably use cut up pieces of solid foam insulation, glue it in with
liquid nails.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message
I'm at the point of adding flashing to make the corners on my building. I
need to add some sort of sealant. Regular caulking would do it, just take
a lot, and some of the spaces are rather large, in the 20 cubic inch
range.

Is Good Stuff spreadable? Is it very self adhesive for overhead and
vertical applications? I may have to make some cardboard dams for just
until it sets up enough to adhere. As it ages, does it keep its
adhesiveness, or may it fall off of the overhead?

I know there's a short working time with this. Could one spray some out,
then putty knife it right away into the cracks and crags. Know I just
need to go get a couple of cans and try it, just looking for anyone who
has experience with this stuff.

Steve

When you try to spread it it gets all gooky and rolls up. It will fall and
drip out of cracks, etc. before it cures. It will stay in place as it ages
but is subject to some UV degradation if not protected. It gets brittle but
doesn't fall off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote

When you try to spread it it gets all gooky and rolls up. It will fall and
drip out of cracks, etc. before it cures. It will stay in place as it ages
but is subject to some UV degradation if not protected. It gets brittle
but doesn't fall off.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about was the workability time. This
will be subject to heat from metal in sun, but no direct UV rays. Do you
think it will still degrade? I was thinking of making some little dams out
of cardboard for holes and things that I want to fill to hold it until it
skins over. It will all be covered by something to protect it from UV.

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about was the workability time. Steve

IIRC it takes hours to harden enough not to sag. I'd cover the holes with
metal screening so wasps can't tunnel in and apply the foam over it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"ATP" wrote

When you try to spread it it gets all gooky and rolls up. It will fall
and drip out of cracks, etc. before it cures. It will stay in place as it
ages but is subject to some UV degradation if not protected. It gets
brittle but doesn't fall off.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about was the workability time. This
will be subject to heat from metal in sun, but no direct UV rays. Do you
think it will still degrade? I was thinking of making some little dams
out of cardboard for holes and things that I want to fill to hold it until
it skins over. It will all be covered by something to protect it from UV.

Steve

Steve

The heat should be no problem at all, but working directly overhead will
take some experimentation unless the holes are deep and relatively narrow.
There are also low expansion versions of the foam that may be easier to work
with. After curing the foam can be cut and trimmed with a saw if necessary.