Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning Aluminum Peanut

This peanut is probably aluminum. Some of the indentations are nice and
smooth. Others look like they have some sand casting residue, or at least
the marks from unsmooth sand. There is some dark grey
oxidation/discoloration, too. What would be a good cleaner? I need
something to buff it out, and something to get in there to the rough spots
in the indentations. Looks like some is just oily gook, and acetone might
take a lot of it out. Will have to test an area on the inside for
discoloration.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
This peanut is probably aluminum. Some of the indentations are nice and
smooth. Others look like they have some sand casting residue, or at least
the marks from unsmooth sand. There is some dark grey
oxidation/discoloration, too. What would be a good cleaner? I need
something to buff it out, and something to get in there to the rough spots
in the indentations. Looks like some is just oily gook, and acetone might
take a lot of it out. Will have to test an area on the inside for
discoloration.

Steve

Mothers Mag/Aluminum polish. It will clean and polish.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 27, 11:27*am, "Steve B" wrote:
This peanut is probably aluminum. *Some of the indentations are nice and
smooth. *Others look like they have some sand casting residue, or at least
the marks from unsmooth sand. *There is some dark grey
oxidation/discoloration, too. *What would be a good cleaner? *I need
something to buff it out, and something to get in there to the rough spots
in the indentations. *Looks like some is just oily gook, and acetone might
take a lot of it out. *Will have to test an area on the inside for
discoloration.

Steve

Just for curiosity, how big IS this peanut? Hand-sized or man-sized?

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote

Just for curiosity, how big IS this peanut? Hand-sized or man-sized?

Stan

8.5" x 3.5" x 2.5" In any order, length, width, or height doesn't matter,
just substitute randomly.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 10:35*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Stanley Schaefer" wrote

Just for curiosity, how big IS this peanut? *Hand-sized or man-sized?

Stan

8.5" x 3.5" x 2.5" *In any order, length, width, or height doesn't matter,
just substitute randomly.

Steve

I was hoping for a full-sized Mr. Peanut, myself. So soak in the
solvent of choice until satisfied, then clean out the crevices with a
Dremel and small brushes, buff with a loose buff and mag wheel polish
of choice.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 10:35 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Stanley Schaefer" wrote

Just for curiosity, how big IS this peanut? Hand-sized or man-sized?

Stan

8.5" x 3.5" x 2.5" In any order, length, width, or height doesn't matter,
just substitute randomly.

Steve

I was hoping for a full-sized Mr. Peanut, myself. So soak in the
solvent of choice until satisfied, then clean out the crevices with a
Dremel and small brushes, buff with a loose buff and mag wheel polish
of choice.

Stan

Pretty much my thoughts. See how acetone would do on a test area. If good,
use it to take out the dark areas, although some look like the residue of
sand castings. A little touch up with the Foredom, then a nice polish with
a little compound on a cotton bench wheel.

It's going to look sweet. I'll post pics when it's done.

It was just one of those pieces laying there saying , "Take me home!"

Steve