Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default All day at the auction

A bright clear cool day in Utah for an auction. A major auction on a 11.5
acre facility, not all of that enclosed, about 60,000 sf of building floor
space.

This was my first auction, so it was a lot to absorb. We chatted up about
six guys who were buying for various things. One scrap, one for an
established trailer business in Arizona, another was starting off a trailer
operation, one had a welding shop, others just horse traders and the public.
Some had established businesses. Scrap guy was starting to load tomorrow
AM, and take it straight to LA headed to China. Had some huge shear coming
to compact it. Don't know how many semis we are talking about. He bought a
lot of steel, and aluminum.

The entire flavor of the day was overcast with the very obvious story the
evidence told. Abuse, laziness, sabotage, poor workmanship, and lots of
vulgarities and slurs written, painted, gouged and even welded everywhere.
The natives were not happy. I will get to talk to a man who worked there 11
years and get some insight into the inner workings.

Different work areas were totally different, disjointed from each other, and
the welding shop was the worst. The other departments were orderly, clean,
and the evidence was that people who did a good job worked there. Equipment
worn, yet still very usable. Our friend said they hired anyone who walked
through the door who claimed they could weld, but payed them $8 an hour.
Welding on the unfinished trailers and cobbled together manufacturing
equipment and racks was what I would call beginner, with an experienced hand
once in a while appearing. Lots of blobby too hot work.

The tools were bundled together in lots of three to ten separate lots. If
you wanted one item, you had to buy 50.

Some items went for what I consider cheap. Others, not. Welding stuff was
thoroughly torn up, and the torn up stuff sold for more than the four clean
machines they had. A Miller Dialarc, two Lincoln Idealarcs, and a Lincoln
Precision TIG. The Miller went for $250, and it was clean. The Idealarcs
were $450 each, and were both clean. The Precision TIG was $2100, but
clean. A little high, I thought.

There were about eight Miller 350P MIG power supplies, with accompanying 24A
wire drives. All were filthy, and the 24A's had been beaten with objects so
much only a couple were readable. Guns in same shape. They sold for
$300-$800 each. A pallet of 50 50# rolls of .035 E70S-6 wire went for
$1500. All of the hand tools were beaten to death, but sold for in some
cases 75% of retail. Go figger.

Big items were the aluminum, which sold for the most. Lots of really
outstanding deals on buy the room type stuff, and one full of welding gas
hoses and related welding stuff and fittings stuff went for $50, a steal.

The actions of the bidders was all over the board. The ones who knew what
they were doing had come the day before, and went after specific things. A
lot of guys were lost and aggravated the auctioneers, every auctioneer
looking like and with the attitude of an ex-cop. Not one swear word all
day, but no diplomacy when keeping control and correcting errant bidders.

My friend had a friend who used to work there for quite a while. He gave my
friend a lot of info, but basically, it was a great manufacturer that was
finally a child of the recession, poor management, and employees.

IR 30 HP Screw type compressor, big dryer, $2500.
15 hp $800. $2100 Dayton Electric hoists, $450 each.
A 30' rolling assembly framework, with overhead crane ...... $700
2 pallets, one white one gray ... RV tanks $50 for all.
Big shears, $8000.
DeWalt cutting saws, about $50 each with table and some with material racks
attached. Large racks.
2001 Ford Diesel dually, 131k miles, $8500
IR 8,000# diesel Forklift, VERY clean, RT-J708-J $16,500
John Deere Tractor, good shape, $3100
Cat 8,000# yard Forklift, pretty used, $4,000
Yale 5,000# forklift, very used, $2250
Finished trailers 24' - $7,000 fully enclosed and skinned, nice new
down to 12' enclosed skinned $1750 new
6 single axle fully finished 10' drop ramp $450 each. new
Some deals today. An introduction to auctions101, a good time, bought
nothing.

Still gonna go to some storage auctions, mainly trying to hit the smaller
towns in So. Utah, just for a nice drive, and maybe meld that with a day of
fishing, or turn it into a two or three day thing.

Keep scrounging and horse trading.

Finishing shop for storage and staging area, and sales site.

Some of the stuff I saw today made no sense, but hey, you pay your money and
ya takes ya chances.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote

There were about eight Miller 350P MIG power supplies, with accompanying
24A wire drives. All were filthy, and the 24A's had been beaten with
objects so much only a couple were readable. Guns in same shape. They
sold for $300-$800 each.

I forgot. The auctioneer got aggravated. "In the other two auctions, these
have been selling for $1400." From the back of the room, "We aren't in
Kansas any more, Toto." If they were that bad of condition in the other
locations, those guys were crazy.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Awesome report Steve, very thoughtful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-21, Steve B wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

There were about eight Miller 350P MIG power supplies, with accompanying
24A wire drives. All were filthy, and the 24A's had been beaten with
objects so much only a couple were readable. Guns in same shape. They
sold for $300-$800 each.

I forgot. The auctioneer got aggravated. "In the other two auctions, these
have been selling for $1400." From the back of the room, "We aren't in
Kansas any more, Toto." If they were that bad of condition in the other
locations, those guys were crazy.

Yep. I have a saying "I never pay a fair price" if someone is upset at
me paying too little. Often there is a reason, such as auctioneer
doing a lously job and hiding the nature of the item. (I wonder if
they wanted their friends to win that stuff)

So what did you buy?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 21, 2:53*pm, Ignoramus22709 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-12-21, Steve B wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

There were about eight Miller 350P MIG power supplies, with accompanying
24A wire drives. *All were filthy, and the 24A's had been beaten with
objects so much only a couple were readable. *Guns in same shape. *They
sold for $300-$800 each.

I forgot. *The auctioneer got aggravated. *"In the other two auctions, these
have been selling for $1400." *From the back of the room, "We aren't in
Kansas any more, Toto." *If they were that bad of condition in the other
locations, those guys were crazy.

Yep. I have a saying "I never pay a fair price" if someone is upset at
me paying too little. Often there is a reason, such as auctioneer
doing a lously job and hiding the nature of the item. (I wonder if
they wanted their friends to win that stuff)

So what did you buy?

I see auctioneers selling stuff to their friends all the time...and
then the stuff comes up for sale elsewhere at a higher price.

I have seen it advertised elsewhere by the auctioneer's buddy BEFORE
the initial auction had been held.

Never trust an auctioneer...never.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-21, Steve B wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

There were about eight Miller 350P MIG power supplies, with accompanying
24A wire drives. *All were filthy, and the 24A's had been beaten with
objects so much only a couple were readable. *Guns in same shape. *They
sold for $300-$800 each.

I forgot. *The auctioneer got aggravated. *"In the other two auctions,
these
have been selling for $1400." *From the back of the room, "We aren't in
Kansas any more, Toto." *If they were that bad of condition in the other
locations, those guys were crazy.

Yep. I have a saying "I never pay a fair price" if someone is upset at
me paying too little. Often there is a reason, such as auctioneer
doing a lously job and hiding the nature of the item. (I wonder if
they wanted their friends to win that stuff)

So what did you buy?

Zip. *Nada.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

How do you expect the economy to improve if you do not do your
part? ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:49:08 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Dec 20, 11:03*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the report Steve.

From my experience, your auction was the norm for the times.

The company was in debt and couldn't climb out of the hole they dug
for themselves.

TMT

Kind of like your mommies' (both of them)whorehouse, huh? Tough Obama
economy, even the desperate won't ****.