Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default All day at the auction

On Dec 21, 2:53*pm, Ignoramus22709 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.
22709.invalid wrote:
On 2011-12-21, Steve B wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

There were about eight Miller 350P MIG power supplies, with accompanying
24A wire drives. *All were filthy, and the 24A's had been beaten with
objects so much only a couple were readable. *Guns in same shape. *They
sold for $300-$800 each.

I forgot. *The auctioneer got aggravated. *"In the other two auctions, these
have been selling for $1400." *From the back of the room, "We aren't in
Kansas any more, Toto." *If they were that bad of condition in the other
locations, those guys were crazy.

Yep. I have a saying "I never pay a fair price" if someone is upset at
me paying too little. Often there is a reason, such as auctioneer
doing a lously job and hiding the nature of the item. (I wonder if
they wanted their friends to win that stuff)

So what did you buy?

I see auctioneers selling stuff to their friends all the time...and
then the stuff comes up for sale elsewhere at a higher price.

I have seen it advertised elsewhere by the auctioneer's buddy BEFORE
the initial auction had been held.

Never trust an auctioneer...never.

TMT