Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carton sealing solutions

On 2011-12-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

Perhaps some of you worked at a real shipping warehouse, and could
weigh with some thoughts on this. What is the most straightforward way
to seal boxes of more or less regular sizes.

Surprisingly, the most secure way is with polyester or PVC packing tape,
and a documented "H" pattern of taping. All tape must overlap ALL the
way around the carton to meet our standards. (about 5" over overlap on a
12" high carton is sufficient)

We ship many, many tons of explosives every year (well, "shipped", since
I'm not on payroll anymore). DOT (which considers explosives rather, um,
"critical") _usually_ only allows tape as a closure -- either plastic
packing tape, or fiberglass strapping tape. It's not by regulation, per
se, but by virtue of how we must obtain certification on the boxing
method.

We must have our boxes AND taping pattern for each tape type re-certified
each year by a box-testing lab. We pack up a number of cartons with
simulated product which must weigh and fill just as our real stuff does.
Then they drop, crush, smash, throw, and otherwise abuse the cartons. If
they do not "leak" after a bunch of standardized tests, then we get our
certs. Hot melt takes more time in a manual process, and is weaker in
testing than is good tape (the bond area is so much smaller).

Unless you have a mechanized boxing line, even hot-melt is not as fast as
tape. Keep in mind that you cannot afford to store pre-assembled boxes,
so you're going to have to erect them from flat. By the time you "glue
and hold" one set of flaps with hot-melt, you'd have assembled and half-
packed a box using tape.

Get good quality tape, and good quality, durable taping machines (hand-
held applicators). DO NOT, as my previous employer has done, get the
cheapest applicator; there are substantial differences in how long they
last, and how well they lay the tape. For explosives, we use either 1/2-
mil or 1-mil PVC with a rubber adhesive (commonly available). For us,
EACH tape must carry a separate packaging certification.

LLoyd

Lloyd, thanks. I am also partial to tape, and with time I have become
effective at taping boxes. The other plus of tape is simplicity and
low potential for injury (you cannot get burned, stapled etc).

What tape gun would you recommend? And what tape?

The Italian made hand tape guns are the best by far! They last forever &
parts are readily available.

They are sold by a few places such as

http://www.uline.com/BL_761/Heavy-Duty-Tape-Dispensers

MikeB

--
Email is valid but not checked often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

[...]

Awesome, I will get a 3M and this one. I want to invest time and a
little money into finding a perfect solution that could work with
temporary people.