Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Washer Guide - Home Shop Machinist

I just received an email from HSM where one guy improved the accuracy,
runout, deflection of his inexpensive drill press by bolting a snug fitting
washer to the top of his quill that rides inside the column against the
sides.

My first thought was, "Won't that introduce wear to the inside of the
column?" My second was, "Gee that does sound like it work work if you used
a softer sacrificial material fro your washer/spacer."

Not that I am convinced I want to do this to my drill presses, but I you
were to take this approach with the thought that you might want to use these
everyday. Not just once in a while what would you make that washer out of?

************* Text of email received *************
Improving Drill Press Accuracy
By Quincy Collins
Many budget-priced drill presses have a fair amount of runout, or play,
especially as the quill is extended. Mine is no exception, so I headed to
the internet to try to find a solution. The bulletin boards seemed to be
filled with owners unhappy with the accuracy of their drill presses.

Some suggested flattening the splines with a hammer to reduce play, which
seemed a little drastic to me. I then hit on this solution that has worked
for me and is a little more elegant than taking a hammer to the drill press.

The upper end of my quill, where it passes through the pulleys, had a
countersunk center mark. I simply drilled and tapped this location and used
a screw to attach a custom washer (Figure 1). The washer was sized on the
lathe for a close tolerance with the bore of the pulley shaft. This served
to stabilize the quill at all points in its travel.

The spindle runout of my drill press has been greatly reduced and drilling
is now a much happier and less frustrating job. I have limited shop time so
it was nice to have found a solution that was both quick and easy.

Thanks Quincy, your subscription has been extended by an issue!